Uninstall Norton

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FireWallNut, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireWallNut

FireWallNut Guest

What is the best way to get rid of this beast? It seems to reside everywhere inside the registry. It's show size must be at least 18EEE with footprints left behind.

2. FireWallNut

FireWallNut Guest

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Uninstalling Norton products can really make a terrible mess of things on your system. Believe me, I've experienced it. That's one reason why I don't use any Norton programs anymore.

4. Paul Masley

Paul Masley Registered Member

I had problems with Norton Products years ago. With the trashed systems, unworkable fixes, and just the system overhead that Norton requires, I decided then and still do today, Norton is just not worth the headaches and expense. The only valid product from Norton is Ghost. It does work, as long as it is used in DOS mode.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

So the big question for me and I am sure others as well when your updates expire do you just ride with it or try to dump it? If it is a pain to get rid of and is working good why unload it? I ask myself this all the time? What does the community say? :doubt:

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I got rid of it a couple of yrs. ago, after the licence expired. Was looking for something better at that time.

As for the uninstall, i had found a page at that time with very detailed info on how to go about this. I wish i still had that url as it would come in handy here. All i remember is using my reg cleaner and meticulously searching for anything Norton, NAV or Symantec and whatever else related, and deleting them. It took a while but i finally got rid of all of it. It was a long process, that's for sure.

snowbound

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

2003 and above, uninstall isn't too bad. Run a normal add/remove uninstall. Reboot. Then download and run the NAV/NIS uninstall utility you can get from Symantec. Reboot.

That's it.

8. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

You would have thought that as one of the leading Antivirus Packages, a problem like this would not arrise.

Jimbob

9. Jimbob1989

I mean Firewall package although they are both a pain to remove.

Jimbob

10. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I'm on NAV 2003 and when I scratch it, I think it will be on a fresh XP install!

11. Jimbob1989

My system recovery disk has norton on it allready. So when I do a system recovery norton is installed. I believe I may be able to remove it from the installation but I don't want to corrupt a useable Recovery Disk as I can only make one, although I may be able to get around that.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.