Uninstall from Add/Remove or Start Eset?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JerryM, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My trial of NOD is about up, and I want to try KAV 6. NOD has worked well on both my desktop and laptop, but I want to try KAV6.

There is an uninstall option under start and programs and ESET, but I read that it is better to use the Control Panel ADD/Remove.

How should I uninstall NOD?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My personal preference is to use the control panel. Restart your computer after you uninstall NOD.
    The Eset folder wiill still be in Program files. Just right click on that folder and delete it.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Ron, that is the normal way I do it, but sometimes I read some horror stories about uninstalling various AVs. I never had any problem uninstalling Norton.

I am hoping that after the KAV6 trial it will uninstall without problems, but it has been one that some have indicated problems with the uninstall.

Jerry

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Uninstall went smoothly, and so did the install of KAV. I appreciate the opportunity to try the products before I buy.

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    They should both call up the same uninstall process. NOD32 uninstalls fairly clean, kill the Eset directory in Program files, and there are a few registry leftovers you can kill....or just use a registry scrubber if you don't feel like rolling up your sleeves.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. What I usually do is uninstall, then go to the Program Files and delete the folder, and finally go to Start search and delete the rest.
    I don't know what a registry scrubber is. I am cautious to do any deletion of registry items with my very limited abilities and knowledge.

Jerry

7. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I doubt NOD32 leaves anywhere near the number of registry entries of any Symantec (Norton) program after uninstalling. If you haven't looked in your registry for those, you might want to think about it.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I never had Norton on this machine. It had a trial of McAfee but I did not keep it very long.

I would not know how to look into the registry if searching for files and folders would not reveal them.

Jerry

9. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

McAfee is pretty bad about leaving crap behind also, maybe not quite as bad as Norton?

This may help?

LurkHere Tech Support - McAfee Uninstall Instructions - All Flavors

Leftover registry entries from old programs (especially antivirus and firewall products) can cause conflicts and problems with acquired programs of the same type. Also if you want to reinstall the same software. This however does not seem to be true of NOD32. I have installed two newer versions over the top of NOD32 without a hitch since my initial purchase and installation last September.

It is best to stay out of the registry if you don't know what you're doing (it can really mess up your OS if you make a mistake) and it is always wise to back up the entire registry before editing or using a registry cleaner type program. I think that might be why people format and reinstall Windows every so often rather than removing leftover registry entries from uninstalled software?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.