Uninstall difficulty

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wa4zwc, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wa4zwc

wa4zwc Registered Member

I am using the 15 day trial Of Acronis True Image 11. I have decided that I do not care to continue with the program and have tried to uninstall it with no success.

I have so far tried using the regular add/remove program in the control panel and I have also tried using Microsoft Windows Install Cleanup application.

When I use either of the above applications, it indicates that the uninstall indicates that it is a success, but the TI 11 is still on the computer and can still be run.

In order to uninstall more than once I have to reinstall the program even though it it is already there.

My trial runs out in 5 days and I will not be unable to reinstall it again after each unsuccessful uninstall.

Anyone here have any ideas?

I am not familiar with removing registry entries so if that is the solution please explain on a beginner level.

Thanks, Jerry

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Does TI still appear in the 'add/remove' program options?

Do you get any warning messages?

Is TI physically installed in just the one place on the hardrive?

Before you play with registry - check in services.msc and see if TI scheduler is still listed and running.

Sounds as though the uninstaller has some sort of corruption.

3. wa4zwc

wa4zwc Registered Member

After the uninstall process, TI does not show in the add/remove options. That is why I have to reinstall it again so I can try the uninstall again. The program is alive and well even though it as disappeared from the add/remove options

I do not get any warning messages. It appears that everything is working as it should during the uninstall process.

It is physically installed in one place on the computer. C:/program files/acronis

TI scheduler is running in services. (I have not attempted to uninstall again since my last install).

Ive gone through the uninstall and then reinstall process perhaps 5 times today with no success.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is most strange, I've not seen this problem before.

To uninstall manually, is going to be quite a bit of work. I take it you have no other TI software on the system such as DD10 etc.

First - download Acronis' cleanup utility, which I don't have the link for to hand - though it was posted recently. Check GroverH's posts as he has loadsa links in his signature.

Second - open services and stop and disable the Acronis services.

Third - open task manager and attempt to stop timounter and trueimagemonitor and scheduler2.

Physically delete the TI Home folder in program files - plus those in program files\commonfiles\ . Then if you installed for all users - delete the files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis. If you installed for single user only, then go to the same place and but the \your_log_on_name instead of All Users.

The next thing will be to open up registry - regedt32 and search and delete all Acronis entries. Some of these will refuse you access. If you are using XPpro - just right click on the root Acronis folder and change the permissions to FULL CONTROL - you should then be able to delete them - there will be quite a few entries.

Then run the Acronis cleanup utility - reboot and hold your breath, whilst having your XP install CD to hand - if it all goes up the spout, a repair install of the CD will bring you back to a working system, though you'll lose any XP updates that you have had on your system.

Before embarking on this, wait and see if anyone has any less hazardous (not registry tinkering) ideas.

Colin

5. wa4zwc

wa4zwc Registered Member

Thanks Colin.

I will definitely wait for a safer solution, but if I don't get one, I'll post back and let you know what happened. :)

Jerry

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When having normal install or un-install problems. Often times, these problem are caused by the existence of a mixture of temp files

Before installing, clean out all the temp files.
    After un-installing, reboot and clean out all the temp files.

If you're running xp, you could do a disk cleanup.

One way (among many) to clean out temp files:
    Open My computer and Right click on Drive C and click properties.
    Choose the Disk cleanup option.

Another way.....install a cleanup program such as Ccleaner. Run this after an un-install. Run Ccleaner in two steps....a regular clean plus the registry scan/clean.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

If a secure zone has been created, with or without the startup recovery manager, either for archives or the "Try&Decide" feature it is important to remove it using the manage secure zone wizard before uninstalling TI.
    If not the hidden partition will definitely be left behind.
    Another item sometimes left behind is in Windows device manager, being the Acronis archive explorer. I would also remove this before taking all the previously set out uninstall preparations.

Xpilot

8. wa4zwc

wa4zwc Registered Member

Thanks to all that replied and gave information.

I have removed 99.9% of TI from my computer. The only thing that is left is in the registry and that is (Acronis Scheduler) and it does not affect the performance of my computer that I am aware of. I cannot delete that no matter what permissions I have.

In order to remove the other 99.9% I had to manually find each file or registry entry and delete it. Some could not be deleted with out using a program "unlocker", but it went well. I also backed up my registry using "Erunt" before I deleted the entries there.

Thanks again for everyones help and advise. :)

Jerry

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well, if you were unable to change permissions on the Scheduler entry in registry - try via regedit instead of regedt32. Although both look the same there are some subtle differences. Failing that, then starting XP up in it's safe mode - should then allow you to delete this entry as the scheduler will not be running under safe mode.

Colin

10. wa4zwc

wa4zwc Registered Member

Colin, I tried your suggestion and no success.

Jerry

11. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

One thing you might try would be to go into Services and stop the service and change the startup type from automatic to disabled.

Then use Regedit and remove the automatic startup found in
    My Computer\HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

12. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The Acronis scheduler is yet another item that should be added to the " Delete/remove/ shut down before uninstalling TI" list.

I forgot to mention it in my previous post. When I removed TI 11 all I had to do was restore to a full drive image taken before my brief encounter with TI 11. Well that is my excuse anyway [​IMG]

Xpilot

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

It is possible you could use Your Uninstaller What do the Acronis People think? It removes registry keys on broken uninstalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.