Uninstall ATI11 - can't remove timounter.dll and tishell.dll

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bchan, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bchan

bchan Registered Member

I have just done an uninstall of the latest build ATI 11 (8053) according to the manual instructions given in the thread 'Uninstalling ATI 11 Help' (thread ID1935770). However there are two files in the Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome folder that can't be removed -- timounter.dll and tishell.dll (the error message is 'Access is denied'). Moreover these files cause error messages whenever I boot up my computer. Can someone tell me how to remove these files? Thanks!

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you go to My computer, Manage, Services, is either isted among running services? That will prevent deletion. In Services, you can right click and select Stop to stop a service, which should then make the file deletable in most cases. But it could be something more nefarious.

You can try booting in Windows Safe Mode, and then delete the files. then search the registry for any entries referring to those files, just to to be safe.

3. ashleyj

ashleyj Registered Member

You could also try a file un-locker program such as - this not tried it my self but I have heard it works well.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Unlocker works terrific on fvalid iles and directories that are being held open by any processes. It can even stop the offending processes, if you want. And it's free and doesn't take up much room; what more could you want? ;-)

If the dll files are corrupt in the file system, you might have to run chkdsk /r to fix the prob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.