uninstall and registry questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fuzzo, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzzo

fuzzo Registered Member

i've had it with true image and want the entire thing off my system. (true image will not allow my system to find any slave drives except the source drive if i configure it as a slave. when i placed a different drive in the slave configuration, true image deleted its partition.)

i uninstalled the program using remove programs in the control panel in win xp pro, but find acronis left lots for parameters in my registry. does anyone know if it's safe to remove these parameters? will that disingage this beast from my computer or just cripple the os?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

The search function is your friend.

3. fuzzo

fuzzo Registered Member

thanks. i did search but my parameters weren't the best.

it seems clear that acronis is concerned with marketing a product much more than they are with testing that product for reliability in advance of putting it out. that's certainly the microsoft model.

i hope someone from acronis sees this comment and kicks it upstairs instead of puffing themselves up, politely putting me down and forgetting it. microsoft themselves are trying desparately to change their tune. acronis might do well to change their business philosophy before word gets out to more than their faithful consumers that their product is not reliable in some cases. a lot of people really hate microsoft...

4. crofttk

Well, don't let my crabbiness be construed as representative of Acronis' attitude about support, I'm just another user, have NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER with Acronis and normally am a little more helpful but I probably am just short of caffeine or something today.

Actually, Acronis posted how to manually uninstall all remains of True Image at some point, I'm just too lazy to search it up for you right now.

Sorry that I was snippy.

Here is a thread that might be applicable: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=118451 The search I used was: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=908214

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  5. rafael

rafael Registered Member

Instead of going straight to the registry and do manual modifications and or removals, I would suggest that you use some free registry cleaner like JV16 power tools ( google search old version.com ), ccleaner or easycleaner.

The free JV16 is a powerful cleaner, just make sure you don't remove the red ones as this requires some thought. The green ones are always safe to remove. I am very sure you will like this free version.

I am a new member of this forum and I am still learning to effectively use TI 9. However, I have no complaints about support either from Acronis or from other members. I understand how you feel, and most probably I will feel worse if I have your bad experience. Patience my friend, there's a lot of people here to help you.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Do NOT use a registry cleaner.
    Allowing such programs to automatically remove things is, at best, asking for trouble.

And if you decide to search thru the registry, you need to know which parent keys to remove as well as those that have "acronis" or "true".

7. rbmorse

rbmorse Registered Member

That's what your backup is for, right?

I disagree with you on this. I think using a registry cleaner on a regular basis is an important part of Win2K/XP maintenance. I've used a number of them, both commercial and freeware/shareware, including all of the ones mentioned by Rafael, and find that at defaults they're pretty benign.

The biggest problem I've seen is some of them will strip cookies and remembered passwords for web sites (like this one) without warning at default.

Most recent ones come with their own "undo" feature and a couple offer to set a XP restore point before running as well.

My current fave is CCleaner (ccleaner.com) which is available at no cost to individuals because it's extremely fast (about 4 seconds a pass) and effective. Less experienced users might look at the aforementioned JV16 or the commercial packages "registry mechanic" (pctools.com) or "regvac" (regvac.com).

All of these are safe and reliable at default settings, although some custom settings can lead to mischief. As always, make sure you have a working backup solution available before you start mucking with the system.

8. crofttk

So, you have to decide, with regard to cleaning up an ATI uninstall: Do you place more trust in a third party registry cleaner or in Acronis Support ?

I think jv16 Power Tools 2006 has a great registry cleaner and use it frequently but I think the best choice for handling this problem is a no-brainer.

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

No.

First, you would have to do the backup IMMEDIATELY before using the registry cleaner.

OK, you can live with that.

But, the damage that might be done by a registry cleaner likely will not be immediately seen so the backup won't do any good.

Use is OK, if you do not allow them to automatically change anything.

THat's bad.

But of more concern are the complex entries that are included in the registry.

Again, a restore point is of no use because the damage done by a cleaner may not be noticed until much later, e.g., after othe restore points or backups have been made.

We may do no better than agreeing to disagree, so no point in further discussion from me.

My current fave is CCleaner (ccleaner.com) which is available at no cost to individuals because it's extremely fast (about 4 seconds a pass) and effective. Less experienced users might look at the aforementioned JV16 or the commercial packages "registry mechanic" (pctools.com) or "regvac" (regvac.com).

All of these are safe and reliable at default settings, although some custom settings can lead to mischief. As always, make sure you have a working backup solution available before you start mucking with the system.[/QUOTE]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.