UnHackMe 5.0 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by G1111, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Is this a good program?

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Is there a time limit on this beta or do they shut it down to a date selected to kill it?

EASTER

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Don't know. I bought it a long time ago.

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Not sure whether this answers your question:

http://www.greatis.com/unhackme/faq.htm#REQ

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

In the meanwhile UnHackMe 5.0 (non-beta) was released on 22 Dec 2008:

http://www.greatis.com/unhackme/

What's new:
    http://www.greatis.com/unhackme/download.htm

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks, got it. That was quick.

8. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I purchased UnhackMe several years back as I felt I needed a dedicated anti rootkit. I dont have it installed any more as Im using Avira and A Squared (full versions) - is it really useful / any better than what I have running now?

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

It has not changed a lot. I use it as a supplemental scanner. Although I run a lot of scanners. I have had UnHacMe installed for a couple of years now.

10. controler

controler Guest

Site also say "UnHackMe still works after finishing evaluation but it will ask you for registering."

11. controler

controler Guest

Keeps flagging IE as suspicious LOL
    program has a sense of humor.

The Google and search in database online buttons don't work for me.

12. Nett0pp

Nett0pp Registered Member

Avira on maximum configuration stops more common r00tkits than alot of other AV(Anti Malware products)
    And i recommend Treatfire over Sana/Norton antibot...:cautious:

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The name alone should arouse your concerns. AFAIK it's best left alone before it ruins your good machine. It's nothing more than simple old hat hype & claim advertising.

I run it through tests before and it's basically cosmetic at best although it does possess some useful componants, but the whole app and website is IMO nothing more that a money trap, so if you like to contibribute to his cause, i'm sure you won't get any argument from him.

PERSONALLY: choose DEFENSEWALL and spend wisely :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  14. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Are you talking about unhackme and the greatis.com site?

Thanks,

Chris

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Chris

As i pointed out from personal experience and then try to relay my disappointing results to reply, i stand by their are good componants within the app itself, but only my opinion it still at least on the surface anyway doesn't encouarge enough of a responsible appeal as a commercial product, but then again, i suppose there are others that fall under the same category.

And to answer your question honstly and openly, yes, that site and app.

EASTER

16. Chris12923

Thanks for the opinion but some of Greatis software is Like RegRun is very useful even though it is for more advanced users really. Unhackme is really good at detecting some of the most well known rootkits. Well have to agree to disagree I guess.

Thanks,

CHris

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No problem. It's only the age old adage that some apps work well enough for some whereas others take an opposite view from experience then move on to something else.

EASTER

18. arran

arran Registered Member

For me personally the days are long gone now where I used to have programs like this always scanning my pc to see if I have any hidden malware, and preying to god that the products I have will detect any thing that might be there.

Those days are long gone. Today I have a much better strategy which is to prevent the installation and infection from happening in the "FIRST PLACE"
    by using HIPS and Sandboxie.

If everybody adopted this strategy then 99.9 percent of malware on the internet would be defeated. But instead what we still have is crap software like unhook me and all other AV's and antispyware programs flooding the internet and bombarding every one with advertising their products etc. Basically what I am saying is the first thing the average user is going to find out about security is you need an av and antispyware program, unless they "DIG DEEP" and find out about HIPS and Sanbox software.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm with you on all that :thumb:

20. Chris12923

Not sure what unhook me is and if your referring to unhackme then you probably have never used it.
    The average user is not going to use a true hips product correctly. It will more than likely cause them more problems than anything else. As for an AV I think smitfraud and vundo have shown the average user would be taking the pc to the shop. Sandboxe programs and ISR's are for sure what I recommend first off and then the AV's.

Thanks,

Chris

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good point Chris:

There lies a series of security that user's line up for themselves. It can probably be rightfully argued just which sequence is most effective.

For example mine is this:

First and foremost is a backup image app stored away to another HD/Partition as last resort.

The way i'm defending is to use a HIPS first followed by Mamutu then either an ISR/sandbox or Virtual System like Retunil although for me they are On-Demand Only.

MBAM/SAS serves to verify no malware entries or leftovers. And of course there are others like Prevx/Comodo D+/CIS others prefer better etc.

The last in this line of shielding can be an AV although due to the nature of my own long experience i only use them sparingly, NOD32 and Avira.

I am split in Chris's assumption over average users and hIPS but the percentages would no doubt support his opinion, of that i have no doubt because the average user is not likely to want to spend time fine tuning any HIPS or for that matter even answering it's prompts. However they still will be faced with prompts in any AV although most if not all are out-of-the-box preconfigured to quarantine immediately and only prompt to inform the user a match is been discovered and removed.

EASTER

22. arran

arran Registered Member

Yes I was referring to unkackme, true I have not used it before. But why would I need it if nothing can infect my system in the first place? there wouldn't be anything for unhackme to find.

By installing a scanning device such as unhackme or an AV etc that would be like saying my system isn't secure enough and it is vulnerable to infection. which is negative and wrong.

While I agree that the average user isn't going to learn about HIPS rules there
    is basic HIPS like anti executable which they can use along with a sandbox
    and ISR. these 3 alone would be much better than using a scanning device.

23. Chris12923

I.m glad your system is secure.

Again good job on being 100% secure. My system is not 100% but close. Maybe the government could use your setup? Care if I ask what your using to secure it?

True but if I try to get my customers to use your setup above do you know how many calls I'd be getting? It takes time even for the average user to use AE let alone a sandbox. If this were not the case these programs would be making tons of cash in the consumer market. As you know this isnt the case.

But anyway to each his own and I am glas your secured setup works for you.

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.