Unexpected sounds that occur randomly

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by carlb1120, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlb1120

carlb1120 Registered Member

How can I stop these unexpected sounds that occur randomly. There two different sounds: An electronic sounding piano scale (upward direction of tones) and what sounds like a prehistoric elephant. The latter is scary enough to knock you out of your chair. The sounds may occur within a minute of each other, or there may be a 12 hour periods with no unexpected sounds at all. They occur even when the computer is idle with no programs running.

I installed a firewire package several months ago and it came with "Ulead Video Studio 6." I don't know if the two are related, but I do not believe that I had these sounds before that installation. I uninstalled this software, but I still have the noises.

I have Norton Antivirus/firewall, SpyBot Search & Destroy and tonight I installed SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.
    The prehistoric elephant made his presence known shortly after I completed tonights installations, just to let me know that he is still in charge.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Carl

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might want to make sure that you don't have two different versions of the same media player installed. The info at the link may have different versions of windows than you but it should still apply.

http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread.cfm/lev2/67/lev3/70/pid/615/qid/638908

3. carlb1120

carlb1120 Registered Member

BIGC73542

Thank you for a direction from which to start.

I have listened to all of the AOL sounds and none of them are close to these two noises (I thought that the two noises may have been written over an AOL sound). In addition to the information previously supplied above in the earlier post, the following may provide additional clues.

These unexpected noises also have been ocuring in a new Dell Inspiron 8500 Laptop that I recently purchased. I also installed the "Ulead Video Studio 6" CD on the Laptop computer. Besides the factory installed software, I only installed AOL 9.0 and RacePak (Data recording software for my race car) programs on this laptop, and I have never used this new Laptop to surf the net. The only thing that these two computers have in common, besides the unexpected noises, is the sharring of a Linksys router.

I have uninstalled the Ulead software on both machines, but it did not deter my noisy companions from their occasional visits. There is a third computer, upstairs that also connects to the cable modem through the Linksys wireless router. This computer has experienced none of the noise problems.

Please help. It is clearly evident to me that this "thing" is in charge and makes these noises whenever it pleases. So far (about two months now), these are the only actions that this "thing" has chosen to commit.

Where do I begin?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

doubtful if it could be the router. but make sure there is not another ulead video app that came installed on your two comps. when you installed version 6 it might be causing conflicts with the previous installed apps. It may not be your problem but you have to start somewhere. I wish you were close enough that I could actually see and hear what it is doing. I tell my customers that it is very hard to trouble shoot over the phone. But in cases like this we just have to do the best we can. ;)

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

This may be a shot in the dark but judging by this link,

http://www.allbusiness.com/articles/content/14291.asp

and the fact that a friend of mine had similiar unexpected sounds and or music coming from his comp, he ended up having a trojan on his system.

U may want to follow the instructions here,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

and then one of the experts will look at your HijackThis log and give u recomendations about if your system is free of malware.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.