Unexpected inbound traffic skype

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Faraways, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faraways

Faraways Registered Member

I have got some unexpected inbound traffic today when using skype v5.3.0.108. Before today I have never had this when using skype. Using registered Eset Smart Security from v4 and now v5 for a while without problems.

As I cant find any reliable info about the ip-adress/domain and why I suddenly get this inbound traffic I ask here. Maybe someone can figure out if this is to be blocked or not? :doubt:

[skype.exe,tcp/udp,local port 51877,remote port 62256]
    2011-09-08_230642.jpg

2. Faraways

Seems that microsoft have bought 'groupme' and the ip could be linked to this. If you block the ip then skype disconnect and fail to connect again. :oops:

If someone has different view... ;)

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, how did you assocaiate 'groupme' to suddenlink.net ? I don't see a connection, either on your screenie or when doing a WHOIS on 173.216.15.125 !

4. Faraways

@CloneRanger

Sorry,you are right. The ip links to suddenlink.net (and not linked to 'groupme') but cant find any link to skype or why I get inbound traffic like shown above. Ive not given it access but just closed and restarted skype and it stays away for a while.. maybe till it popup again like it did before. :doubt:

No malware found by eset,malwarebytes and no rootkit-like or other suspicious activity.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As part of its transport protocol, Skype makes peer-to-peer network connections, so when running it you will see random-looking connections to hosts you do not recognize, just like you would with a peer-to-peer file sharing program.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.