'Undocumented Serious Error (0x101a)' when attempting virus database update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by kringles, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kringles

kringles Registered Member

The ESS tray icon is yellow and virus database is 3220, other PCs have virus database of 3222. Attempts to manually update result in failure and a message 'Virus signature could not be updated - Undocumented serious error (0x101a)' is displayed. System is XP MCE 2005 with SP3. ESS 3.0.667.0, will try an uninstall and reinstall to see if is corrected.

Update; Uninstalling and reinstalling 667 seems to have corrected the problem, at least for now. Will update this thread if I get any more information or problems.

BTW does anyone know the meaning of the error code displayed?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Deanster

Deanster Registered Member

I'm having the same issue and showing the same error today :(

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please confirm or deny whether restarting the computer helps? If it doesn't work even after a restart, try emptying the update cache; this can be accomplished by hitting the "Clear" button in the update setup window.

Please let us know if either of these options worked. This will give us some clue when investigating the problem.

As a side note, another reasons for this error could be that EAV/ESS was unable to write to the system temporary folders either because of insufficient permissions, full temp folders, or if the temp/tmp variables are not defined or don't point to existing folders.

4. Deanster

Deanster Registered Member

I uninstalled and reinstalled the product and it appears to be working fine now.

I purchased 3 licenses on June 19th and the version was 3.0.650.0. Today I see that there is version 3.0.667. Am I required to uninstall and reinstall the latest version every time Eset comes out with a newer version or does it do it automatically?

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Your program will do it automatically when there is a worthwhile release Kind of like Service packs for windows they pack all the fix's into one. Right now I would recommend just staying with 650 as its very stable. when they release a Service back (basicly) it will update ya then :cool:

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Marcos,

Mine started working just fine after the reset.

Just to be sure, I cleared all temp folders before the restart and its working great now.

7. kringles

kringles Registered Member

@Marcos,

Did not try a PC restart but instead removed and reinstalled ESS 667. Has been working fine since then. Have ESS on two other PCs (Vista Home Premium and XP PRO) and they had no problems. If it happens again I will try a PC reboot and cache clear first to see if that corrects the problem.

regards

8. redboot

redboot Registered Member

Client called me with this error. Tried manual update, clear cache, etc. and it didn't work. What DID work was to reboot, cleared cache and manual update. Re-installation was NOT necessary.
    Thanks,
    Scott

9. Lithium

Lithium Registered Member

I got this same error yesterday. A reboot fixed it.

10. ingber

ingber Registered Member

I reported this yesterday:

This just happened to me as well. I was looking at a webpage and noticed an orange ESS icon -- it is version 669 database 3257 and complains:
    Virus signature database update failed

I tried to update manually several times and it kept failing. My internet connection was file as I was still online with my browser and a shell login to another remote machine.

I rebooted and then still had to update manually -- to database 3260.

I see no reports of any problems in my Event Viewer.

However, in my ESS Log I see an earlier entry today under the Update Module:
    Undocumented serious error (0x%04x)

After my recent manual update I see an entry that
    Statistical information was sent to ESET
    (Does that help me at all?)

11. jobejufranz

jobejufranz Registered Member

Is there any possible solution without restarting the system?

I'm having this issue on a Server Machine.

Thanks a lot.

12. pmabee

pmabee Registered Member

11/4/2008 9:43:01 AM - During execution of Update on the computer WS00466, the following warning occurred: Undocumented serious error (0x%04x)

Got a TON of these last night which woke my 6 month old baby up with my phone going crazy. :mad: Not real happy with no solution from ESET on these. Rebooting is not a solution, it's a workaround and at 3:00AM when I am in bed it isn't even a workaround...

I also get a ton of these with no error:
    "11/4/2008 5:09:22 AM - During execution of Update on the computer WS01104, the following warning occurred:"

13. stanoman

stanoman Registered Member

I have had this problem recently as well. At first I thought uninstalling and re-installing was the only fix, but I found if you "end process" the 2 egui.exe processes running then you can rename the latest .dat files which will force the software to do a complete update from ESET. This has happened three times and this corrected all instances.

14. diffy

diffy Registered Member

I tried stanoman's EZ fix 1st, didn't work here.

This worked, 3x out of 3 :

Empty update cache (F5, update, clear)
    Re-boot
    Manual update

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.