Unallocated space on drive

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by rogerq, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I have a drive that shows about 8mbyte of unallocated space at the beginning of the drive. I can't seem to resize the drive partition to be able to include the unallocated space.

Am I missing something?

2. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

This is normal..... think its usually 7.8mb.. and is usually present if the drive has a logical or extended partition.. think it contains info about the partition structure... I have it on several drives that have such partitions...

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. Janto

Janto Registered Member

hi , i have also 7 mb unallocated space on my drive...and i can also see it in comp.management...i can`t include the space in other partition...i only can make a partition , but i want to include the free space in one of my partition`s..

5. Acronis Support

Hello Janto,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

If this 7.8 MB of unalloacted space is in the beginning of your hard drive then please make sure that your first partition (which follows this unallocated space) on this hard drive is primary. If it is logical then you will not be able to increase this partition using this unallocated space.

In case it is in the end of the hard drive or in the beginning and your first partition is primary and you are unable to include this space into another partition then please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. keyboarder

keyboarder Registered Member

Hi Kirill:

My 80 Gb drive with two partitions for Linux, a NTFS windows partition and a Fat32 bootmagic partition crashed and I used Acronis TI to recover the backed up image to a new 120 Gb grive. The 120 Gb drive now reports 80 Gb and the rest is in unallocated space. ATI and Disk Diirector 10 will do nothing to transfer that space to the NTFS partition. ATI cannot create a Secure Zone because the disk already has four primary partitions. Disk Director will not resize the partition, probably for the same reason. Can I recover only the NTFS and Bootmagic partitions to the new disk and will that permit using the entire 120 Gb? Can I recover the Linux partitions to another disk and will it boot?

I'll appreciate any help.
    Lloyd

7. Acronis Support

Hello Lloyd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify the following?

- What was the image taken from (a single partition, a set of partitions or an entire hard drive)?
    - What is the exact layout of your 120 GB hard drive at the moment?
    - What messages you receive when trying to create Acronis Secure Zone or perform any operation using Acronis Disk Director Suite? Please create a screen shots of these messages if possible.

We would also suggest you to send us the Acronis Report. You can find the instructions on how to create it in Acronis Help Post. This information would let us investigate the problem under consideration thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected screen shots and and report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. keyboarder

keyboarder Registered Member

Hi Kirill:
    Thanks for the reply. The image was the entire drive and it restored successfully, giving the partitions the same sizes as on the original 80 gb drive. I now have NTFS 69.49 gb, Bootmagic (fat 16) 23.5 mb, Linux EXT3 4.887 gb, Linux Swap 133.4 mb, and Unallocated Space 37.26 gb. Working with the unallocated space, Acronis T.I. reports "Could not create Secure Zone", and D.D. Suite 10 reports "could not create partition". The four existing partitions are primary, which is the limit. If I try to resize the NTFS with D.D.Suite, unallocated space is not a choice. If I try to merge NTFS, unallocated space cannot be selected.

I submitted a Technical Support Request as indicated.

Cordially,
    Lloyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.