Unable to verify images with boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by muppet, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muppet

muppet Registered Member

Hi All,

I've got a problem with ATI Workstation whereby I am able to successfully create and view images from within Windows, but upon booting to a freshly created ATI rescue CD I am told that any image I attempt to verify is corrupted.

At first I thought it was because the image was quite large (if you can call 35G big) and written to an NTFS formatted USB disk, but then I tried creating a much smaller image and saved it on one of my internal drives with the same result; verifies OK in Windows, but the boot disk doesn't want to know. It doesn't even pause for a second before telling me the image is corrupt - just pops it up as soon as I've selected a file from the tree and pressed enter.

I see from browsing this forum that there are others in a similar situation but in my case I thought I'd nail it by taking the USB disk out of the equation.

If anyone is able to help with this problem I'd be very grateful indeed. (i.e. please don't make me go back to Symantec ...)

Mark.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Mark.

I am assuming that all your images verify OK from within Windows, and none of them verify from the rescue disk.

There are a couple of things you can try.
    1) Reboot your rescue disk and check the version of ATI is the latest.
    2) If it is the latest raise a support request.
    3) As a work round create a BartPE boot disk - this will enable you to verify & restore in the meantime. You may even prefer it to the ATI rescue disk ;)

F.

3. muppet

muppet Registered Member

Hello,

I raised a support request with Acronis, but was unable to provide them with the information they wanted since I don't have a floppy drive on this machine and also objected to sending detailed system information files to an unknown third party.

Will give BartPE a try but can't recommend Acronis based on product quality or customer service.

M.

4. foghorne

You don't need a floppy drive, you can mount a USB flash drive.

I think you are paranoid. If a company really were trying to steal information from your machine they would not be involving a floppy disk and a user - they would simply send it directly over the net.

I understand your conclusion. However, you should bear in mind that they are trying to maintain compatibilty with all hardware out in the field, and this changes every few months. You may not like True Image, but it is probably the best out there at the moment.

F.

5. muppet

muppet Registered Member

Part of the debug instruction received from Acronis were to put some sysinfo data onto a floppy disk after doing a full boot minus the -quiet option of their recovery media, and my Linux shell knowledge isn't strong enough mount a USB device within their somewhat proprietory live-CD environment. I daresay I could have figured it out after a couple of hours, but didn't really want to waste my time in propping up somebody else's product for nowt. If it doesn't work out of the box then I'll find something that does.

I rather think that would be quite difficult with the amount of security in place between my machine and their server, not to mention unethical. Much easier to ask the user to freely surrender comprehensive information about their operating system and hardware environment.

Besides, who said anything about Acronis trying to steal information? I have no idea how my information is stored or used, let alone which country's legal jurisdiction these guys operate under, and that makes me uncomfortable - not paranoid.

M.

6. foghorne

I must admit this process does rather rely on the user having the time and the motivation to work it out - and it is not obvious. Having said that there are threads on this forum which show anecdotally how to capture the data they require onto USB deveices rather than floppies.

It is obviously your right to say how your data is used. I was trying to point out that after doing this data gethering for feedback for 4 or 5 years I am convinced there is nothing sinister about it. Just my opinion.

F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.