Unable to update the virus definitions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mmmTIN, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmTIN

mmmTIN Registered Member

I just bought and downloaded the NOD32 v3 today and I've tried updating and received the common error message of 'virus signature database could not be updated, error downloading file from update server'

I've tried all means of the support people offered on this forum regarding solutions for this and nothing works.

The database has not updated yet and the version of virus signature database is at 3373 (20080821)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello mmmTIN,

Welcome to the forums.

Any help here?

3. NodFan

NodFan Registered Member

I've run into the same problems. Purchased NOD32 today and am having the same update problems.

I've run through the Knowledgebase article and none of the steps have solved the problem. The updater downloads several files and then starts to install them. The updater always fails on step 3 of 5.

Any other thoughts as to what's going on here?

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you get a reply using the ping command?

5. NodFan

NodFan Registered Member

Yes, I do get a reply using the ping command.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try restarting your computer to determine if it will update.

7. NodFan

NodFan Registered Member

After restarting and trying to update again, it is now saying updating is not necessary because the virus signature database is current. It is showing the database version as 3373. I know this isn't current because I have another machine running another copy of NOD32 and the database is shown as 3694 and is dated 12-15-2008.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would list the differences between your machines here. Operating systems, security software installed or previously installed, wireless or not, etc.

Since you have one machine that will update and another that will not, it would point to the a difference between the two machines.

9. madlib

madlib Registered Member

I just registered on these forums because I am having the EXACT same problems as these 2 other people. I have tried every method already talked about to solve the problem and none of them help. I am starting to think that the problem is completely on NOD32s end with their update server.

First, it acted like it was starting to update but then it would say "virus signature database could not be updated, error downloading file from update server." Then just a few minutes ago I tried again and it is now saying "Update of the virus signature database is not necessary. The installed virus signature database is current." This cannot possibly be true as I just received the NOD32 disc in the mail today and installed it for the first time today and my current virus signature update is only 2945 (20080313).

This has been very frustrating and I have been wasting quite a lot of time trying to get this to work. Any help or updates on this situation would be appreciated.

10. Memory

Memory Guest

Exactly the same here as with OP.
    Everything downloads, but on the laptop itself the update fails.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8311/nod3201kp6.jpg

After many failed attempts :
    http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9155/nod3203kp8.jpg
    http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/8798/nod3202ba2.jpg (update has not been run yet. update is not necessary. cool!)

To me it looks like nothing has changed at all. Same signature.
    Clearing the cache doesn't help either.

I'm giving up and going to bed. Not even thinking of attempting to install it on the desktop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  11. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I suspect issues with the update servers, I'm certainly updated but my other thread on here points to problems with the updates. :thumbd:

12. Memory

Memory Guest

Yeah well.
    I got it to work on the last attempt just now.
    What did the trick for me was to go into "Setup" > "Enter entire advanced setup tree..." > "Update" then at "Clear update cache" press the Clear-button.

Then also in "Update", at "Advanced update setup" > "Setup"-button > "HTTP Proxy-tab" > choose "Do not use proxy server" instead of "Use global proxy server settings" and OK-button.

nod3204it1-1.jpg
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7062/nod3204it1.jpg

nod3205ri9-2.jpg
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/7175/nod3205ri9.jpg

Robert

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's helpful. Thank you Robert.

14. NodFan

NodFan Registered Member

Machine 1 (does update) - Windows XP Pro / Wired network connection / Security software - Malwarebytes (free), AdAware (free), Super Antispyware (free)

Machine 2 (does not update) - Windows XP Home / All other info same as above

Both machines are sharing the same DSL connection and using the same router. The machine that does update has had NOD32 installed for a few weeks and I never had any update problems. The copy I purchased and downloaded today for machine 2 is when the problems started.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling on machine 2 and this did not solve anything. I then uninstalled and reinstalled using the install file from machine 1 that is dated Dec. 6. After this, the update function seems to work fine. Could there be something in the current install file that is causing these problems?

15. Banger696

Suggest you get the latest version and download it (from eset.com) and clear the cache then try as it just worked for me think the update servers have been cleared. (Just guessing)

16. princ

princ Registered Member

There was problem with virus database update 3694. It was fixed and updates should working now. Flushing update cache is no needed.

17. madlib

madlib Registered Member

Like others have said it is working now.
    I had never used NOD32 before today, so that was a weird coincidence that the first time I use the program and try to update it didn't work. This isn't a common problem with updates is it?:doubt:

18. Banger696

No very rare. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.