Unable to Update SWB

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Shirewolf, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirewolf

Shirewolf Registered Member

Hello,

I've been using SpywareBlaster 3.2 for some months now and have not been able to do updates as it keeps giving me the following error:

ERROR CONNECTING TO UPDATE SERVER
    There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your pc. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download.
    Please try again soon.

I'm using IE 6.0 with the current SP2 update.(This problem was present even before updating to SP2). I use Norton Internet Security and all Firewall rules for SWB are set to allow the program to freely function. I've even disabled the Firewall and have been unable to update. Each time it gave me the same message. Currently the only way for me to update SWB is to manually download and over write current files in the program like your message board suggested to another user. While this works, I would still like the have the working option of just letting the program do this itself. As many times as I try to update during the day, I always get the same error message.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Shirewolf
    A simple answer is to try and uninstall SWB from the Add/Remove Programs option in Control Panel, reboot and then do a re-install of it. It is a small programme so it should not be much trouble to try this. Perhaps something in SWB got corrupted and a new install would correct this.

3. kka

kka Guest

Hardley.... I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and I still cannot download updates anymore. Benno (se another thread) has also experienced that uninstalling and reinstalling won't help.

4. Shirewolf

I've uninstalled SWB and reinstalled as suggested. No Joy. The problem still exists. :'(

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello Shirewolf, welcome to the forums from me. :)

Have you read this: THREAD HERE
    It's not exactly the same problem, but I gave some varying reasons, and especially in the pic, you may try a different setting. :doubt:

HTH, if not, I am afraid I am at a loss.

Cheers, TAS

6. Shirewolf

Greetings to you as well,

Alas it still has not helped. I guess I'm stuck doing manual updates on my own. Thanks for the advice.

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm not sure why this is occuring for a small percentage of users - there have been no recent server-side changes that would cause this type of issue.

That said, I've been working on some minor bug fixes and changes, and I may have a beta of the next SpywareBlaster available soon (probably just a maintenance release) - and with luck, one of those changes should get around this particular problem. :) I'll have more information soon, with any luck.

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. What is the link to the manual download and what file should we replace it with? How would I go about this? I have to do the same thing for Ad-Ware.

9. kka

kka Guest

I am wondering if perhaps Jksearch (CWS-trojan) could block SpywareBlaster's update function/the server? I have had it confirmed that my computer is infected but, cannot remove the pest :-(

Any suggestions on how to remove Jksearch will be highly appreciated. CWShredder by merijn cannot take it away. Spybot S&D and Ad-aware cannot even detect it.

Javacool, thanks to you for providing us with great security tools! I have installed your SG and DocShrubber in addition to SpywareBlaster.

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I would take a look at your hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) and look for references to spywareblaster.net or IP numbers beginning with 64.91... If they are being redirected to 127.0.0.1, you would get the same error.

Nick

11. kka

kka Guest

Thanks, nick s. However, spywareblaster was nowhere in the hostfile. Another funny thing is that SWB's update suddenly worked again (without me yet having been able to remove Jksearch)!

12. Shirewolf

I've finally figured out how to get my SWB 3.2 to update. The problem is solved, for me. I hope the following advice helps others with the same problem I've had.

Using IE 6.0 SP2 (had problem in SP1 as well) and Nortons Internet Security 2004 for a Firewall. SpyWareBlaster 3.2.

First, I went into Nortons, removing the Firewall rule previously made for SWB. This way when SWB tries to update again, it will come up asking what firewall rules to use for the program.

Second, I ran SWB and under its Update Options set the settings as:

*Use a direct connection to the internet. Placing a check mark in the box next to, USE ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD METHOD.

NOW.....having done this I finally clicked for SWB to try and update. Nortons popped up asking me for the Firewall rule for this program and I selected to allow it on all ports. Amazingly enough :eek: SWB updated on its own! :D Woohoo!

I hope this helps anyone else, but I just wanted to share my solution. Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.