Unable to update definitions on XP x64

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mits, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mits

Mits Registered Member

I am unable to update the virus definitions on my fresh (yesterday's) installation of latest ESS v3.0.672 64-bit, running on XP x64 SP2 with all updates. ESS seems to connect successfully to the only server listed after installation (u24) but simply reports that I already have the latest updates. I have a retail (CD) version of ESS, but the activation procedure prompted me to download and install the latest version from the web.

I have read all the troubleshooting tips in the the relevant knowledge base article and have consulted all the ESS forums. I am an experienced windows user and familiar with firewall function, administration and operation. However, I don't run currently any additional firewalls or protection software (except TeaTimer from Spybot Search and Destroy). I have a direct connection to the internet, no proxies, and a static IP.

Are there any known issues, especially for the x64 version, not described in the KB article? Perhaps some registry setting that I could edit to persuade ESS that my virus definitions are old? Or some other procedures (say, deleting existing definitions and somehow forcing an update) I might try?

The final thoughts I have is whether the update servers actually need several days to receive my activation information (or having a glitch again). Or whether my logon information was somehow blacklisted right out of the box (literally) due to conflict with existing pirated serial numbers.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Did you disable the TeaTimer module from SpyBot - Search & Destroy during installation of ESET Smart Security v3.0.672.0?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Mits

Mits Registered Member

Thank you for the quick reply. Teatimer did cross my mind, but considering that it mainly protects the registry, I judged it would not interfere with the installation of ESS.

However, just disabling Teatimer and making a repair installation of ESS did not help. So I completely uninstalled ESS, rebooted, then reinstalled, but alas update still does not work... Somewhere else must be the problem.

In the meantime, I just discovered there is an ESS version 4 beta programme and I intend to join it, to see if it works better for me. If the same problem insists on v4, then something is definitely wrong with my (quite aged) XP installation. In that case, I will make a full cleanup of all my startup programs and properly troubleshoot the issue with v3.

4. Mits

Mits Registered Member

Update on the problem and a possible solution

I describe my adventures of troubleshooting the same problem in ESS v4 beta in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225730. Using the proper update server seems to be the key: My computer somehow insisted on using some 37 update servers, known to it from all my previous NOD32 AV and ESS demo installations, and was unable to connect to the proper one(s). Making a clean install, clearing the cache or manually removing all servers from the drop down list did not help either - ESS apparently attempts to use old update servers hidden somewhere in the hard disk.

My conclusion is that in case of update problems, it is worth attempting to insert into the [HOSTS] section of update.ver an appropriate server. When such a server cannot be found in e.g. ESET documentation or the forums, you can always try an installation on a second PC, or in a Virtual Machine, find out the appropriate update server by examining that installation's update.ver and use that on your main PC. In my case it worked (at least for version 4 beta).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.