Unable To Uninstall Microsoft Anit-Spyware Beta 1 v1.0.0.509

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by smiler, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smiler

smiler Registered Member

Hi there,
    i am having BIG problems trying to un-install MSAS BEta 1 1.0.0509.
    I have had this anti-spyware program for some time now without any problems,no problem to download it and to use it,in fact it is a very user friendly and easy to use program and i was happy with it,until i wanted to un-install it,then it becomes seriously un-friendly!.
    The only reason to un-install it was that i received an updated software offer to 1.0.0.604 and that gave me another 6 months licence,but after downloading the updated program,and then trying to install it i received this error message:-

Errror 1601.Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Favotities

As much as tried i kept getting this message,so i thought i would download the latest program V.604 through Microsoft directly,same error message,tried through major geeks,same message,even using validation code download from m/soft,and using IE6,same message.

So i tried to un-install MSAS through add/remove programs,same message appeared:-

"Errror 1601.Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Favotities"

Then another mesage appeared soon afterwards:- "Fatal error during installation"

So i now thought ok i will try and un-install MSAS through start/programs/MSAS uninstall,firstly disabling and exiting MSAS,then disabling spybot 1.4 resident tea timer+process guard ect ect ,MSAS still no good,same error message.
    So now i tried through My Computer/XPHOME(D:)then (right mouse click+explore)/Program Files(right mouse click explore)/microsoft antispyware/Delete,i now received this message:-

Error deleting file or folder
    X Cannot delete gc AntiSpywareLibrary.dll
    Access is denied

So i now opened up the MSAS folder and deleted all contents succesfully except for 1 stubborn file that i could not remove/delete when i tried to i get this message:-

Error deleting file or folder
    Cannot delete shell extension.dll.Access is denied.

So i am left with this remaining in the MSAS folder:-

shellextension.dll
    Microsoft AntiSpyware Shell E...

When i now look in the add/remove programs i still see Microsoft Antispyware program 15.06 mb still listed even though i have removed most of the files from the MSAS folder and used registry mechanic and crap cleaner to clean up.
    I am at a loss as to what to do next?,it seems that getting rid of MSAS is similar to the the problem i had along with many others of getting rid of NAV,but at least that was achievable with RNAV ect.
    Appreciate any help you can give me to finally rid MSAS off my PC,i am using XP SP2,thankyou.

Regards

Smiler :rolleyes:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did you try the safe mode uninstall?

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You can try Unlocker for the files/folders you can't delete because they are locked,then use search to find remaining files & delete with Unlocker.

But, first i would download a fresh copy of MS-Anti and try to install it ontop of Beta 1 v1.0.0.509 in safemode first, reboot then try to uninstall it, if not possible then try in safemode.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

In addition to the above, you could try the Windows Installer Clean Up:- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

This should unlock things in the Windows Installer and clear out the entry in Add/Remove Progs, thus enabling you to re-install.

You just D/L and install the tool, select MS-AS from the list, then click 'Remove'.

5. smiler

smiler Registered Member

Re: Unable To Uninstall Microsoft Anit-Spyware Beta 1/ v1.0.0.509-RESOLVED!

Hi Topper,i could not install Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup?,i eventually aftre much study delved into the REGISTRY as the answers were there.
    I downloaded REGLITE a REGISTRY CLEANER but also a program un-insatller of sorts when all other means FAIL,like the postion i was in,add/remove would not work nor would anything else!.
    REgLite found 30 registry entries relating to microsoft antispyware,so i done a system restore point first and then looked at all the 30 entries to make sure they wre correct and then deleted them all,and hey presto no more MSAS.

Smiler :D

6. smiler

smiler Registered Member

Hi back thanks for advice,i downloaded (free) REGLITE program it found 30 MSAS entries in the registry and i then deleted them all,hey presto,no more MSAS!

SMILER :)

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

smiler,
    I know I'm too late, but that could be also a reason.
    I hope you did "Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware" on the icon in the system tray FIRST.
    It's easily to forget and that could cause problems during the uninstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.