Unable to Stop / modify a Scheduled Scan

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shansmi, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

Hi All,

I have noticed there is no way to stop a scheduled scan. ESS is so lite I do not even realize it is running and I have rebooted a few times in the middle of a scan. This seems to hang the log file and ESS does not start the scan again once the system recovers. The log files have to be deleted from the programdata folder to get them out of ESS as they cannot be deleted directly from ESS in this state.

Can we get the ability to stop a scheduled scan added to a future version of ESS?

Also has anyone tried to setup a scheduled daily scan and then once saved go back into the scheduled event and change its execution time? On my two systems if I create a daily scan and leave it alone, it works fine but if I change the time it will never work again. The scheduled event has to be deleted and a new one added.

Can we get this fixed in a future version?

Also on the scheduled scan there is no way to see exactly where the scan process is i.e. there is no "bring to the front" option. I have 3 sets of drives on my PC. One RAID 0 for the OS, one RAID 0 for my data files and a USB drive for backing up my data and a PC Image. I have no idea what drive ESS is scanning, I can only see that a scan is in process when clicking on the word "Computer Scan" in the ESS GUI.....

Can we get that feature added to a future version of ESS?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. shansmi

gee, no comments from the gallery or any of the admins?

:blink:

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have scheduled an on-demand scan and was actually able to stop it after I brought it to foreground.

4. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

from experience you can only stop a scheduled scan if you are logged in as a local admin otherwise you don't have the option to stop it.

5. shansmi

ESS was installed when I was logged as local admin and I am logged in now as local admin but do not see any options to bring a scheduled scan to the foreground?? Are you saying I should have right clicked on the installer and choosen "run as administrator"? I have seen that option in Nod32 but not in ESS.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  6. shansmi

I did an uninstall of ESS last night with the intention of righ clicking and "run as administrator" on the new install but that option is not there for that application....guess I should have done the right click before the removal....

So the question remains, how do you bring a runing scheduled scan for the foreground in ESS? I have seen the GUI for this in Nod32 but not ESS.:blink:

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scheduled scans are listed in the on-demand scanner section like manual scans:

Attached Files:

• scan.png
      scan.png
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
  8. shansmi

This is not an option for me in ESS v3.0.642 for a scan the is actually running. I have looked at the GUI in Standard and Advanced modes of ESS with scans running. It is not there? I just looked in the ESS and Nod32 manuals... that option is not discussed in either but I have seen mention of it on nod32 forums but not the ESS forums... Below is a graphic from where I had ran a manual scan and cancelled it (marked as completed) then I kicked off a scheduled scan a few minutes later. I can only bring to foreground the scan that was stopped... the on demand scan that is still running has no option to bring it to the foreground. Keep in mind, the whole point of donig this for me is to cancel the scan at least I hope a "stop" option is there.
    o_O

Attached Files:

• ess.gif
      ess.gif
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  9. shansmi

here is my daily scan just after it started... now the thing is I have 3 drives and ESS starts over at 0% each time it changes drives to scan. So you have no real way to see where the scan is actually at (i.e. is it scanning my C,L or K drives other than which light is blinking and what particular directory on that drive is being scanned) nor can it be stopped.....

Attached Files:

10. adhamh

adhamh Registered Member

This isn't a new problem. I started a thread about this 3 months ago, so I guess it's still waiting to be fixed. Here's my thread where I posted a picture of the issue.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197834

The temporary fix is to go to Task Manager, Processes, and End the process for egui.exe and ekrn.exe

11. shansmi

I looked through a few pages of posts and did not see your but I did not do a search - dooooh!

It actually appears the problem is now worse. At least you have a stop button. I do not nor can I bring a scan that is running to the foreground as that option is not there as seen in the graphics...I have right-clicked, left-clicked, center clicked and used the ALT and CTRL keys with various clicks and get nothing.

I am sure there is a good reason for omitting this "feature" but I can't figure it out. The solution you note does work assuming you realize a scan is running when it is time to say "restart" the machine for whatever reason but if you do not, the logfiles will get hung and need to be deleted manually from programData....

:D

I have not seen a response from a moderator after posting the latest graphic...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  12. shansmi

no comments ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.