Unable to restore Shadow Protect Image

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was using shadow protect 3.5.2, and was unable to restore back to a previous image. I decided to install the latest version of Shadow Protect V4.0.1.6921 to see if that would fix the problem, but no change. Still unable to restore to a previous image. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM. Here is an image of the error messages i'm receiving. I'm attempting to restore from a Western Digital External drive. Anyone know what the problem may be? o_O

Attached Files:

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Did you post this on their forum?
    I have found the residents there to be very helpful and fast.
    Hugger

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Hugger, i'm just waiting on an e-mail with my password so i can post on their forum. I just opened an account. I'm not sure whats taking so long to get an e-mail with a temp password. I thought someone from Wilders might know something about the matter.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, my account is set, and i posted it on storage craft's forum.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From your screenshot, you are trying to restore from within Windows which is not possible with SP. Also (if you know about it, disregard what I'm saying) you need an evaluation version of SP in order to use the recovery CD.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Cutting Edgetech, Osaban is right about this. Do you own a license for 3.5.2? If so, you should be able to download and burn the iso to CD, then boot from it to restore your images.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Osaban, and Wat0114! I was not aware that you cannot restore from within Windows. I have done it before using Acronis True Image. I do have a license for version 3.5.2. I have not made a recovery cd. Is it too late? Can i convert my SP backup image to ISO, and create a rescue disk? The backup image is 9.4 GB's. I may have to split it. You guys have been a huge help! Thank You so much!

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

To tell you the truth, I was really surprised to read about a failed restore from SP. It is really a very unlikely event.

If you have a license for 3.5.2, you should enter your serial number here:

http://www.storagecraft.com/release/sprelease.asp

I have no idea if they still have the ISO D/L for 3.5.2, but you can try. When you bought 3.5.2, did you pay for the yearly maintenance? If you did, and you are still covered to date, you are entitled to a free upgrade to version 4.

No matter what the situation is you MUST download an ISO image from their website, burn it to a CD which will become your bootable CD in order to perform image restorations.

Once you have the recovery CD you can even uninstall SP from your computer if you like (that is the way I use it).

Your backup images are good as long as you use the recovery CD. Beware that you cannot use version 3.5.2 recovery CD to restore an image created with version 4. With a version 4 recovery CD you can restore any images even older versions.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Cutting_Edgetech

I didn't pay the maintenance fee, but i keep a backup copy of all my software on external drives. I remember downloading the iso. I'm looking for it now.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you can't find it, as long as you have your serial number you should be OK; you are entitled to 5 downloads (if I remember correctly) and I've just noticed on the page of the link I gave you it says "This ISO Download is for All Editions of the Software".

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for all the help guys! I was able to download the iso, and create a rescue disk. I sucessfully restored to a previous image. I must say though that i do not see why i should have to use a rescue disk to restore to the previous image. I never had to do so with Acronis True Image 11.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Within Windows one can restore files and folders. The recovery CD is the only way to recover if the OS drive is unbootable or damaged. I have Acronis TI 9 on one computer, and I use it only with the recovery CD as within Windows there's always some kind of conflicts with some drivers.

It may feel a bit strange to rely on a CD at first, but I can assure you SP is arguably one of the most reliable software in terms of success rate (more than 50 restorations, no failure in my experience) and fast, certainly faster than Acronis.

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

the way to restore image for me is what acronis or ghost that, just rebot and you are done restoring automatic, no need for cd or anyting else i found really anoying have to use the cd everytime that i need to restore in my case 2 or 3 times at day, the cd is good to have in case of total failure and you need it that moment, my 2 cents

14. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I only use ShadowProtect from the boot CD. It leaves my system less cluttered and complicated because nothing is installed related to imaging. Works perfectly and reasonably fast.

IMO, the TI approach is a negative. Instead of just having Windows, now you have to use a boot manager and choose between TI's Linux boot or Windows. I know it normally works but sometimes it doesn't. IMO, simpler is always better.

15. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Thats why there are different programs with different features available. You buy/use the one you prefer both in terms of features and price. If you do not like having to use a CD with SP then you should use something else. Not intending to start an argument but just stating the obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.