Unable to restore differential backup from DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Paquette, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paquette

Paquette Registered Member

A month ago, I posted my problem with performing a full backup to DVD+RWs using TI9 (Build 2.337 German) and InCD4 (Version 4.3.12.0). Because automatic verify stalled TI9 I was advised (as a work-around) to uncheck the automatic verification option. Manual verify should work.

While I was able to do a sample restore from this set of DVD+RWs, I tried to perform a diffential backup today. And this failed again. :ouch:

The full backup has 13 volumes split on 5 DVD+RWs. I have not worked much on the computer since last month, so I reckoned that I would not need more than 1 more disk for the differential backup.

In my first try, I ended up with one more disk and two volumes (14 and 15). When I tried to (manually) verify the data, the process stalled (insert volume 13, insert volume 1 - stalled). I then recognised that the reading in the program suddenly changed from "volume 15 of backup.tib" to "this is not a valid archive file" - so I wondered if there was something wrong with the archive.

Second try ended up with three (o_O) more disks and volumes 14-21. The event log tells me that everything is o.k. but when I tried to (manually) verify the archive, TI9 stalled again (see above). O.k. so verify is not working in the current version. Bad enough.

But what really upsets me is that restore doesn't work, too. TI9 stalls with two empty pop up windows (one with the title "Warning" and the other one with the title "Working - please wait"). After some time, the notorious "does not respond" turns up and I have to kill the task.

One time, at least, I went as far as to file selection for restore. Interestingly, the folder with the new file wasn't even in the list of restorable files. Moreover, the time stamp for the archive is 1 January 1970. When I next tried to access the archive the reading in the Acronis file explorer changed to "not a valid archive file" again. In the event log, a "corrupt file" entry can be found.

Acronis - please fix these bugs! I just can't believe that someone is selling a product for data safety that can't even perform the most basic tasks.

Until now TI9 seems to produce write-only memory disks...:rolleyes:

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Save yourself the hassle and the hair pulling ... use an external usb hard drive to keep your backups. If you want extra security, burn the backup to DVD afterwards - of course you will have to prepare in advance and make sure the backup files are in dvd sized chunks. But use the external hard drive as the primary backup medium.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paquette,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please not that when you verify the integrity of differential image, you should insert the last DVD with the differential image at first.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please also reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Could you please also copy image files from DVDs to the hard drive and try to verify and restore the image from there?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. Paquette

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's what I did. I inserted the DVD with the last volume of the differential backup. TI9 then first asks for the last DVD of the full backup and then for the first volume of the full backup. This is the moment when TI9 stalls (blank popup windows...does not respond...no DVD drive activity...kill task to regain control).

I reproduced that at least 5 times (that is to say after 5 tries I gave up).

Strangely enough, in the event log there is only the "process cancelled by user" entry. o_O

5. Acronis Support

Hello Paquette,

Could you please do as Tatyana has suggested and try copying all files from all DVDs to one separate folder on your hard drive? Please try to verify the image copied and inform us about the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Paquette

Dear Acronis Support

Did as requested -> the archive is o.k. and also restore worked fine.

I personally had no doubt about it (because I already did TI9 backups/restores from/to harddisks before) BUT this is not quite what I expect from a backup/restore programme that claims to be capable of using DVD media.

What is the idea of saving to the same harddisk where the original data is? I want to save my data on removable media and store them in a safe place. Besides, I just haven't got enough space on my harddrive to do the backup (took me about an hour to free enough space to do the requested "copy all files to the harddrive and check the archive" operation). Moreover, my three year old computer only has USB 1.x and so to invest into an external USB drive just doesn't seem to be a reasonable move considering backup speed.

To me (and taking into account the many negative reports in this forum) it looks like I cannot trust TI9 regarding backup success and quality on removable media which somewhat renders this otherwise very promising program useless - at least until these major bugs have been removed.

Please keep me updated.

Best regards

7. Acronis Support

Hello Paquette,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home German which has just been released and now is available in the Product Updates section of your account at our web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account, then log in and use your serial number(s) to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please create a new image archive saving it to DVDs and let us know if any of the problems you reported still persist.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.