Unable to resize partition with bad blocks (0x70023)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Otis123, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis123

Otis123 Registered Member

Error:

Unable to resize partition with bad blocks (0x70023)

Product:

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 Build 2117

System:

OS MS Windows XP Professional SP2 5.1.2600 Build 2600
    OS Updates Complete
    Memory 4 GB Corsair DDS
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 39 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2211 MHz
    Mainboard Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    BIOS Phoenix Rev 1015, 10/21/2005
    Floppy None
    Controller SATA NVidia nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
    nvata.sys 5.10.2600.0534
    SCSI Adaptec 29160 Ultra 160 SCSI
    ADPU160m.sys
    Internal Drives:
    Disk 2 (I :) UW-SCSI 36 GB IBM DDYS-T36950N
    Disk 3 (G :) SATA 500 GB Maxtor 6H500F0
    Disk 4 (K : F :) SATA 500 GB Maxtor 6H500F0
    Disk 5 (C :) SATA 400 GB WDC WD4000KD-00NAB0
    Disk 6 (H :) SATA 500 GB Maxtor 6H500F0

External Drives:
    Disk 0 (M :) USB/1394 320 GB WDC WD3200JB
    Disk 1 (L :) 1394 120 GB WDC WD1200B002-RNN
    Disk 7 (N :) USB 320 GB WDC WD3200JB

With one exception, all internal drives are formatted NTFS as Basic Simple Volumes; in Disk 4 I created a 10 GB FAT32 lead-in partition with Windows Disk Manager in which the system page file resides. There is no page file on the boot volume C:.
    All disks, both fixed and removable, are either new or have just been reformatted as Basic NTFS Volumes; there are no Dynamic Volumes, no spanning, and no RAID.

I’m attempting to resize my 400 GB C: NTFS boot volume partition to 120 GB so that my Acronis ATI backups are of a more manageable size. “My Documents” has been moved to another fixed disk, as has the page file.
    Attempts to resize, both from ADDS10 in Windows, and with 2117 Boot Media result in the error message “Error Module 1 – Operation with partition ‘4-1’ was terminated. Unable to resize partition with bad blocks (0x70023)” Before many attempts of the operation from Windows, I disabled all anti-virus, anti-spyware, and registry monitoring utilities, and terminated all other TSR programs.
    Windows reports the drive as “clean” after a chkntfs command; chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f have been run off-line on the disk; WDC Data Lifeguard Tools sees the drive as clean after extended examination; and Gibson SpinRite 6.0 [ http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm ] reports no errors after both Level 4 and Level 5 examinations; nonetheless, chkdsk through ADDS10 in Windows reports 4 Kb in bad sectors, and will not perform a resize of the disk.
    The disk has been prepared for resizing by the use of “Smart Placement” optimizing with Raxco Perfect Disk 7.0 and the Master File Table appears to reside right in the middle of the drive.
    Find attached the Acronis Report result, screenshots of the \Driver\Disk and \DriverFtdisk chains from the DeviceTree utility, screenshots of the ADDS chkdsk results, and a copy of the System Information report.
    I didn’t install the driver package because the installation routine cautioned that they were older than those installed by my upgrade to Build 2117.
    Is there a driver package that supersedes the Build 2117 drivers, and if so what is the link?
    Can or should the resizing operation be undertaken from Windows Safe Mode?
    I’m extremely averse to imaging the disk and reformatting the volume; this is an optimized, tweaked boot volume with about 63 GB of OS, applications and utilities. I honestly don’t want to replace ATI with FDISR and ADDS with Ghost (I hate Symantec products), but the effectiveness of the SpinRite product is legendary, and I have great difficulty understanding how true file system errors could persist after so much repair and recovery. All partition operations I need to perform are easily undertaken with Windows Disk Manager, except of course reducing the size of the OS partition; this resizing is the only reason I need Disk Director.
    Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Otis123

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.