Unable to recover back-up image file.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Loveit, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loveit

Loveit Registered Member

My recently created back-up image will recover back to the hard disk, but after required re-boot I get the message "Unable to find operating system". I had a partioned hard disk with Vista & XP running on the same disk, several previous images restored but with the same message, can anyone help o_O??

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Can you tell us a little bit more about your set-up? What partitions you had, which you backed up, and how you restored them?

First I would guess that this is an issue with either your MBR, or a partition flag(such as Active or Hidden). Our boot CD's as well as the windows recovery CD's can repair the MBR if needed.

3. Loveit

Loveit Registered Member

Thanks Matt,

I had two partitions, Vista & XP, 97 Gb & 47Gb respectivly, I backed up the complete hard disk & simply restored them from the package "Restore partion/files" When I boot from an XP disk & load XP I can see the restored directories with all my documents etc.. Also the C:WinVista & E:WinXP partions. Originally after booting I could chose which OS to run with, but now only the reported "Unable to find Operating system" message.

4. Paragon_MattK

Ok, it sounds like your MBR and/or the vista BCD is corrupted. First, you will need to update your MBR, use our recovery CD's boot corrector (if available) to update the MBR for your Vista installation. This will allow the system to boot into Vista, from which you may need to re-add the XP installation to the BCD in order to get your dual boot menu back.

I recommend taking a look at neosmart's website which has a vista boot cd available(.ISO - Torrent) - Startup repair should fix all of these issues.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

After you can boot into Vista, you will may need to add XP back to your BCD. EasyBCD is the best tool for adding entries into your BCD (which is essentially the boot menu)

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

5. Loveit

Loveit Registered Member

Thanks for your help Matt, I'll try your suggestions & let you know........................Wish me luck !!!!! I'll need it !!!!!!

6. Paragon_MattK

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.