Unable to read disk 1 sector 1230585 error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aztec, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aztec

aztec Registered Member

hi there i just started using True image, to clone my 80g HD to another 80GB hard drive for back up, but everytime iam getting this error:
    unable to read disk1 sector 1230585 (retry,ignore,ignore all).

Does anybody have any idea what is this message all about?
    BTW iam using my back up HD, the original one got burned, so thats why i want to clone this one just in case.
    Iam using winxp pro.

Thanks in advance.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Uh uh! Sounds like a bad sector has developed on the drive. This happens when you are reading from your current drive, right?

Do you get the same error if you chose C: -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Disk Now ?
    OBS: Do no allow Windows to fix any errors. Just check for errors. My guess is that you will get the same error, with the same sector number (or more sectors).

Windows can try to fix it, but as with any fix, there is always the risk that it gets worse afterwards, so you really should try to backup your documents and files to a safe place - even if that involves zipping them up and mail them to your own Yahoo or Gmail account (but a CD/DVD is better :) ).

You could also try the backup program that come with Windows: NTBackup.exe. It is quite good, and you should be able to do a full backup of the system to the new drive. It will not be cloned drive, but it will allow you to do a full restore in case you current installation dies.

When you have secured your most valuable data, try the Check Disk Now tool again, this time allowing Windows to fix the problem.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aztec,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

It is most likely that you have bad sectors on your source drive. You may try to clone the drive pressing the "Ignore all" button. This approach usually works. Also please navigate to "Start" -> "Run" and issue the following command:

chkdsk <drive letter>: /r

for each drive letter you have on the source drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. aztec

aztec Registered Member

thank you very much for the help Minimax and acronis (great support),yes it happens when iam reading from my source disk and also when i did the Check Disk Now, i did try the command that acronis support suggested and got the bad sector error message as well.
    I will back up my data to dvd and then allow windows to fix it hopelly it will,
    i will let you know.
    Greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.