Unable to push, or even get info from clients in RAC

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by jeremyf, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyf

jeremyf Registered Member

The situation:

Network of under 20 workstations, all either WinXP Home or Pro, the server being Windows Server 2003, plus one workstation with Windows Server 2003.

Upgraded from 2.7 to 3.0.669 without any difficulties on the server (simply ran the 3.0 installer, did NOT uninstall 2.7 first...mistake?). Also installed the latest RAS and RAC on the server.

Installed RAC on my workstation, (the only other Windows Server 2003).

Although RAC can find the computers using "Find Unregistered Computers", and I can also navigate them no problem in "Push Installation", if I try to "Get Info" on any of the workstations, it cannot detect Virus Sig DB or the OS. The only machine that it CAN detect these on is on mine (the other Win 2003 Server workstation). Similarily, I cannot seem to push install anything to these machines.

The only way to get Nod32 upgraded from 2.7 to 3 on these machines was to physically go to them and do the install, and the only way to make them clients to RAS was to manually tick that option in each of them. But at this point, RAS and RAC is really not doing anything for me.

What am I missing? Is this an OS related issue of some sort? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

Well for one thing the File & Print services on the workstations must be enabled and must not be blocked by Windows XP's firewall (you need for instance to be able to browse to \\PC01\C$).

As for the Home editions you may not be able to do it at all because it functions a little different with their security model than the Pro edition as far as I remember. I never uses Home so I haven't tried to push NOD32 to one of them but I know that it works with Pro and Servers. Home Editions can't be a member of a Windows domain anyway so you would need to know the userid/password for an administrative user for each workstation (which I guess you do).

As far as the configuration goes the best way is to pull the configuration from a client that you have set up as you want it (including the RAS settings) and save the configuration with the name cfg.xml in the same folder as the MSI-file you use to install.

Then the installation will pick the configuration automatically when you go to the workstations and install. That is of course if you don't solve the problm with access to the File & Print services and then do a push install but here you would also need a working configuration with the RAS settings anyway.

/Preben

3. Bakker

Bakker Registered Member

Edit, looks like preben beat me to it.

Hi,

What error are you getting when you use RAC to push/get info from a client?

When you do a "diagnostics" from RAC/Remote install it'll also tell you what's wrong (through complicated and obscure error codes, but still).

Things that might be blocking push installations:

Firewalls (both windows and 3rd party, try enabeling ICMP and File and Printer Sharing
    Rights, are you trying to install NOD32 on the workstations with an account that doesn't have the appropriate rights?.... since you say that you have XP Home computers in this network, i assume you're not using Active Directory?

4. jeremyf

Sorry for such a late response...

This is what I get with a diagnostic:

Computer: Reception
    Domain: Office
    Get Info Diagnostics, server: PRIME, user: Marie
    Setting IPC$ Connection Result Code: 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
    Remote Registry Connecting (OS Info) Result Code: 1460 (This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)
    Remote Registry Connecting (ESET Security Product Info) Result Code: 1460 (This operation returned because the timeout period expired.)
    Remote Install Diagnostics, server: PRIME, user: Marie
    Setting ADMIN$ Connection Result Code: 1203 (No network provider accepted the given network path.)
    Setting IPC$ Connection Result Code: 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
    Registering ESET Installer as a Service Result Code: 5 (Access is denied.)

It is an XP Home install, which may or may not be my problem.
    Not sure where to proceed from here.

5. PRJUS

PRJUS Guest

XP Home uses Simple File Sharing and I doubt that you will get it to work on those computers.

If you go to one of the PC's and write the command NET SHARE will it show that there is a share named ADMIN$ pointing to C:\Windows which is what Remote Install uses (and so does almost every other Push solution).

On XP Pro you can disable Simple File Sharing but not on XP Home.

/Preben

6. jeremyf

Yeah on the XP Home machines, NET SHARE does NOT show admin$...

so I guess therein lies the source of my problems...

thanks for helping me with this, quick question that may apply to this is...is Vista Business edition the equivalent of XP Pro, all "lower" versions basically being limited like XP Home?

Thanks!

7. jasonblake7

jasonblake7 Registered Member

manually create the admin$ share to point to c:windows.

make sure that the Windows XP home pcs workgroup name is the same as the domain name of the 2003 domain.

you should still be able to push out an installation of it im my opinion if a usernanme and password you use is a member of the admin group on the local XP home PC.

8. jeremyf

how do I do that?

we don't have a 2003 domain, (we are not using active directory), and yes, all of the systems are on the same workgroup...

I may be revealing some serious ignorance here, but I am not afraid! :)
    is it possible that the 2003 server does have a domain assigned to it, despite the fact we are not using it in that capacity, where would i check for that in win 2003?

thanks

9. jasonblake7

jasonblake7 Registered Member

Dont worry about the domain thing then as all PCs and the server is in a workgroup. IF you dont have this already create a admin user with the same username and password on each of the PCs. YOu will use this username and password to push out the install of the NOd32 program from the console.

xp home uses a different sort of file sharing than xp pro. Ill look at home tonight about creating a admin$ share in xp home as not got any at work

10. jeremyf

Yeah I am just trying to work with the two XP Pro machines now, before I tackle the Home problem again...I will create the admin accounts on all machines at end ofwork day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.