Unable to open downloaded setup file

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by keithleng, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithleng

keithleng Registered Member

I've downloaded avgas-setup-7.5.0.50.exe several times and I'm having difficulty opening it.

I've downloaded it with ie7, firefox and wget. I've downloaded it to 2 different computers and to a network drive. After each download, when I try to launch it, I get some variation of an "access denied" message. Often I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path of file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

The permissions on the file seem fine. The size of the file is 6,469,352 bytes. I can't compute and md5 checksum because the md5 utility can't open it.

2. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

If you rename the AVG AS setup file, can you now start it?
    You should try to use a software like Process Explorer or Unlocker to check for processes that may block the setup file.

3. keithleng

Renaming the file had no effect, it failed with the same error. Unlocker said "No Locking Handle Found".

4. karl.ewido

And what happen if you change the extension to *.pif, *.com or *.bat?

5. keithleng

For all three extensions, I get the same message when I try to launch the program: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path of file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

6. karl.ewido

keithleng, please check your private messages.

7. calcu007

calcu007 Registered Member

Are you using account with administrator privileges? or a limited account?

8. keithleng

Thanks for the help, everyone. I finally got it working with yet another download to another computer using Firefox. I'm not entirely sure what I did differently. I think the problem was probably ie7 related; possibly it was a combination of the things mentioned in this thread , though none of the fixes there actually fixed my problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.