Unable to make image of OS partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by langdon, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. langdon

langdon Registered Member

I bought Acronis True Image about a week ago and have a couple of problems with it. (903)

The computer it's installed on uses the Windows XP Pro OS.

And has 2 hards drives; Disk1 - primary partition C: - an extended partition of 2 volumes D: & E:

Disk2 - primary partition F: - an extended partition of 3 volumes G:, H: & I:

When I run the TI programme from Windows to create an image these partitions they appear in their proper order on the create image page.

If TI is run from the bootable CD made when TI was installed it lists the primary partition F: on Disk2 as the last volume on disk1 and the volume D: of Disk1 as the primary partition of Disk2

TI hangs if I run the programme from Windows and the image contains C: partition but appears to successfully make an image of any of the other partitions on Disk1 or Disk2. Guess I wouldn't know for sure until I tried to restore them.

If TI is run from the bootable media and the drive letter anomaly is ignored it appears to make successful images including drive C: These are not listed on the restore image screen but do show up in the right place in Windows Explorer.

The TI log shows that it analyses these partitions; 0-0, C, D, E, 0-0, F, G, H, I.

Wonder what "0-0" is?

Langdon

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

Ignore drive letters in Acronis, and rely on the graphic depiction of the drives. Also, give your volumes descriptive names that you can easily recognize regardless of the letter assigned.

If the drives and partitions, (ignoring letters), are not showing up correctly in Acronis, then there may be some issue with your partition tables.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Langdon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (full version) can display drive letters different from those the user sees in Windows, because Linux has its own rules of drive naming (See Partition names). Such a situation usually may arise after using partitioning software. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information about the issue with Acronis True Image when it is run in Windows?

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. langdon

langdon Registered Member

Hi Irena
    I'm not sure I can add anything to my original post except to tell you what I see when I use the create image function.

I have given all the partitions meaningful names so drive letters are no longer an issue.

TI appears to work perfectly when making images of any partition except Disk1 primary partition C - the boot drive - of course.

With this partition or any other combination containing this partition, after clicking the proceed button the progress indicator shows 0% and the hard drive shows a steady light with no sign of activity. If you cancel the operation at this stage a message says waiting for True Image service to disconnect. When that disappears the computer is hanging and the hard drive light is still on with no activity. The only way to get out of it is to reset the computer.

Strangely on one of my many attemps to image all the disk1 partitions at once iit got beyond this point and seemed to be working ok but failed halfway through.

When the fleeting message comes up indicating that TI is analysing the partitions it reads; 0-0, C, D, E, 0-0, F, G, H, I

What does the "0-0" indicate?

Regards

Langdon

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Langdon,

What applications do you have running in the background e.g. Norton GoBack, on access virus scanner etc.? Try closing down all nonessential apps before commencing the image creation process.

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello langdon,

I would agree with Menorcaman. First of all, you should try to temporarily disable any third party backup or disk management or antivirus software that requires the exclusive access to the hard drive and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please also do the following in order to enable mini-dumps.

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.
    - Reproduce the system crash and collect the mini-dumps created.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.