unable to load lnsfw driver

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by angelo_lopes, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

I downloaded to test LooknStop Firewall
    WinXP firewall was running, no other firewall running.
    After install I rebooted and got this error.

Everywhere I searched, I found this link:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.info/0306.shtml
    Clicking there I get
    Not Found
    The requested URL /0306.shtml was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Help please. This is not a good start.
    Before I tested KPF (Kerio), even disallowing almost everything, NOD32 reported things like IMON Attack source: 213.205.71.233 Win32/Lovsan worm connection terminated

My WinXP SP1 box is patched with all M$ updates, of course including the oldies MS03-026 and later MS03-039, and no msblast here. Actually I never got it.
    I only read e-mails from people I know, I only open attachments I asked for or was waiting for, I don't have Outlook or Outlook Express, my e-mail client is Eudora 4.3 and I made it blind to html e-mail. Only plain text.

Since Kerio was not doing it's job, I would like to give LNS a try, and also Sygate. Outpost I already tested it and didn't like it very much. I was a ZoneAlarm user, but now I only have an old version I am affraid will not be much effective. New ZA versions keep prompting me to "Go for Pro" and I hate this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, since Wilders forum are, for me, the Real Thing.

TIA and Best Regards,

Attached Files:

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi angelo_lopes :)

Take a look at this thread,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17607;start=0

It discusses the same problem u are having.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

3. angelo_lopes

Thanks snowbound. I tested all versions, always cold rebooting after uninstalling the previous, I am administrator, driver signing is set to "Warn - Prompt me..." and still get the unable to load lnsfw driver message.

Weird the install _never_ shows me the window speaking about signed or not signed drivers. M'gonna give other firewalls the try. Tanks again anyway. :)

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Sorry it didn't give a fix for your problem. :(

Good Luck. :)

snowbound

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

This is common and very annoying problem which can occur under few conditions like having more then one Software Firewall currently Installed at the sametime. Also in Device Manager access the menu and go-to View\Show hidden devices, now expand “Network Adapters” & "Modem" Lists and check see if there is anything corresponding to *Look ‘n’ Stop* there, if so delete them and re-boot and Install Look ‘n’ Stop.

6. angelo_lopes

I've also done this to no avail.

Regarding snowbouns follow up, I am sad.
    It's good to find a nice forum with dedicated
    people ready to give you support.

It's for sure any incompatibility with any of my Network adapters,
    but it's still soon for me to reformat C: HDD since it's stable.
    Any recomendation for firewall other than ZA from you pals?

TIA

Attached Files:

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

8. angelo_lopes

I gave it another try. I don't give up easily!
    Also these foruns do have kind of sex-appeal :)
    and I prefer to use software I know I can find
    support, shall I need it.

No chance. After uninstall, my registry didn't have any key
    mentioned on http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/Manual%20Uninstall.txt
    Not even S4E_LNS

So, I am going to uninstall it for the fourth time and reboot
    to install zonealarm, because:

1. With Kerio installed, NOD32 reported "attack from IP address
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". I think a firewall should stop the "incoming"
    before it arrives the time for the antivirus to act.
    Please correct me if I am wrong

2. Sygate is not compatible with ICs. I use it because
    my DSL modem is USB.

3. Look 'n' Stop doesn't like my Pentium

4. Visnetic Firewall Single User License $249.95

Again thanks for your support.

9. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

I tried the new Kerio firewall the other day just for kicks to see what it was like. Let me just say that it didn't last very long on my computer at all since its was so horrible. :)

Anyways... I uninstalled it and then tried installing back on my computer Look'n'Stop 2.05 beta 3. Well guess what I got the same error message 'Unable to load the lnsfw driver' (error 0). Went digging into my registry only to find lots of junk left over from Kerio. Do a search in your registry for the words: fwdrv, persfw, and kerio. I cleaned it all up and rebooted and tried installing Look'n'Stop again and guess what? It worked fine. Since you did mention about using Kerio before you might want to see about cleaning up your registry and giving Look'n'Stop another try again.

10. angelo_lopes

OK. More registry keys to search for, other than the ones I deleted reading other posts. I found some containing fwdrv, persfw, and kerio, deleted them, rebooted, did another search and the registry was "clean". Then I reinstalled KPF and the error was there again.
    I give up, but I tank you for your effort.

Regards,

11. dukebluedevil

Sorry it didn't help you angelo lopes. :(

The only other thing I can think of that you might want to try doing is using a registry cleaning program to make sure there isn't any other junk that might be causing conflicts. Jv16 powertools is a pretty good reg cleaner you can try for free. http://www.jv16.org

Before installing Look'n'Stop, just make sure that you dont have any other firewall programs installed and also disable any anti-virus program thats running.

12. angelo_lopes

Don't say sorry. I thank you very much.
    I keep my registry clean with another tool. I don't know if it is better or worst than jv16, but I like it.

Before installing Look'n'Stop I did _not_ stop NOD32, so I don't know if this was the problem. Anyway, if you look my previous post with Network adapters image, you will see a lot; 1394 for my firewire card, the 3Com 3C905C-TX, the Intel Pro/100 VE, Nortel IPSec adapters, the Siemens ADSL USB modem, and all the associated stuff those cards automatically install. I didn't realize I had so much sh*t before I selected Show hidden devices.

I bought a Zyxel ADSL/switch router, to replace my Siemens ADSL USB modem and the need to have ICS enabled and one computer always on. The Zyxel have it's own firewall and I can set it up, so I no longer need a software firewall.

I found I am not the only one with this problem, so I hope our posts may help other guys and that's what Wilders forums are for, isn't it?

Thanks again for trying to help me.

Best regards,

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  13. dukebluedevil

You're welcome angelo lopes. Just wish I could have helped you out more. Thought I had a solution to your problem but I guess not. You just never know from system-to-sytem, there are so many things out there that can cause conflicts. Anyways, Best of luck with your Zyxel!

Take care.

14. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

no "official" solution to this trouble yet?
    a friend of mine's suffering for the same issue, and she'd never had a sw firewall on her pc before trying to install LnS2.05...

same error message:
    "unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)"...

15. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi manuangi,

in the past a user has solved his problem by deleting an old network adaptater from a previous modem he didn't have anymore.

A check that you can do is to take a look at your current network adaptater properties (either LAN card or modem) and to check that you have "Look'n'Stop driver" there and checked.

A problem too may be is a conflict with an old firewall installation unproperly uninstalled.

If nothing can solve your problem, you may want to try to completly uninstall Look'n'Stop, to reboot to ensure all is right, then to reboot into safe mode and to install the last 2.05 version.
    I don't know if it possible to install Look'n'Stop in safe mode, give us your results.

regards,

gkweb.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.