unable to load linux kernel

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Atul, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atul

Atul Registered Member

I have the latest Acronis True image echo workstation (purchased directly from ACRONIS) installed on a system with a MSI motherboard model K9A2 Platinum and AMD® 790FX and SB600 Chipset, two 250GB Seagate SATA drives in a RAID 1, created a ACRONIS Secure Zone and backed the C: partition (it is only 8GB) when I try to do a restore using the F!! key at boot I get the message "unable to load Linux Kernel press enter to continue"

Are the AMD Chipset supported by ACRONIS?

Thank You,
    ATUL

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Yes, AMD is supported, but not all motherboards, etc.

If you create the TI Rescue CD and try to boot from that, what happens?

If you try the workarounds in the stickie at the start of this forum in "Read before you post", what do you find?

3. bennettsweb

bennettsweb Registered Member

I get exactly the same error trying to boot from a rescue CD. Oddly, I had the trial version which worked fine, then I purchased and got the latest build and now it doesn't work.

I've tried the workarounds on the sticky with no luck. Since the kernel isn't loading it never processes the command line and I get no output. Any ideas? Program is pretty much useless because I can’t restore my system drive.

My system is a new AMD.

Thanks - Bennett

4. bennettsweb

bennettsweb Registered Member

Ok, I was able to get my Linux kernel problem fixed sort of. I started the process of setting up a BartPE disk with the Acronis plugin. To do that I downloaded the acronis created plugin installer which also included a different build for the rescue media creator. I had a new option available: "safe mode true image" so I tried it and it worked. I guess I lost some functionality of the USB/SCSI/Network drivers that were disabled and I'm guessing that one of those was the problem to begin with.

So why doesn't Acronis mention the safe mode version anywhere? At least I couldn't fine it anywhere. Maybe this will help one of the many people with Linux kernel errors.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Atul, are you able to boot the system under Acronis Booting rescue media? If not, please provide me with the license number via PM, I will send you an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting rescue media.

Bennett,

The description of the Safe version is available in Knowledge base, article Standalone Version of Acronis True Image Products

Also, you can find information in User Guide for Acronis True Image Echo Workstation available here, chapters 6.3.10 Media components and 10.1 Creating Acronis rescue media.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

6. knarfoh

knarfoh Registered Member

Atul, I have the same motherboard and general configuration as you. I had Acronis TrueImage Home v11. Recently, it stopped working and I was getting the same message as you.. i.e. unable to load linux kernel. I decided to try Acronis TrueImage Home 2009 with the idea of buying it if it worked. Unfortunately, I got the message unable to load linux kernel again. this was frustrating as I needed to restore my entire C drive.

I carefully considered what software and hardware changes I had made recently. From my earlier post, I was sure Acronis would not give me access to some alternate system for booting into Acronis 2009 since I had not yet purchased the product. I wasn't willing to risk buying something that might not work.

Then it came to me.... I have MSI's Liveupdate Utility installed. It is set to check for new BIOS, drivers and motherboard utilities for my motherboard (K9A2 Platinum[also known as MS-7376 Motherboard]) every Sunday morning. Recently, it had updated the AMI BIOS from version 1.6 to 1.7.

I decided to reinstall the old BIOS, i.e. version 1.6. To do so, I visited MSI's website and found the BIOS and DOS install program in a ZIP file. Then I created at BOOT CD using Nero 2009 (I have no floppy drive on my computer).

I used the BOOT CD and then selected the directory where I had unzipped the BIOS and DOS install program. I reinstalled the older BIOS, rebooted and set the values for the BIOS, rebooted and guess what? Acronis TrueImage Home v11 worked again. No unable to load linux kernel message.

I then installed Acronis TrueImage Home 2009 and guess what? I got the unable to load linux kernel message again.

So for me, I am keeping my Acronis TrueImage Home v11 which works with AMI BIOS 1.6 for the motherboard (K9A2 Platinum) you and I have.

Acronis TrueImage Home v11 worked with AMI BIOS v1.6 but Acronis TrueImage Home 2009 DID NOT!

Neither versions worked with AMI BIOS v1.7 on my K9A2 Platinum (also known as MS-7376) Motherboard

It was very frustrating to have to figure this out, but in the end, I am happy again! I violated a cardinal rule, i.e. don't update your BIOS if everything is working fine. If I had not done the update, I would not have spent hours trying to figure out the problem including installing Acronis TrueImage 2009. I am going to uninstall MSI LIVEUPDATE and just periodically check for updates manually. If ACRONIS 2009 had worked with the new BIOS, I would have purchased a product that I really didn't need since v11 has been fine for the way I use it with BIOS v1.6. So I saved money also by restoring an older, more reliable BIOS. When I read a description of the BIOS changes in v1.7 it doesn't do anything for me anyway. I just always want the latest BIOS and DRIVERS which sometimes can be your undoing.

Do you have AMI BIOS v1.7 version installed on your computer? If the assistance ACRONIS has given you has not worked, you may want to roll back the BIOS to the same version as I.

P.S. I have 4 SATA Hard Drives, 2 SATA DVD Burners and 2 IDE DVD Burners in my system, so as you can see I have maxed out the connections on this motherboard.

Post a message if this helped you or if ACRONIS alternate BOOT CD solution helped you.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello knarfoh,

Thank you very much for the detailed description.

Could you please clarify, have you tried to boot from special CD created from ISO file? It is based on loader with different settings and it may help.

In order to obtain such ISO, please provide us with your serial number via PM.

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. knarfoh

knarfoh Registered Member

Thanks for offering to further assist, but I was trying out Acronis TrueImage 2009 only because Acronis TrueImage 11 stopped working. As I said in the post above, I fixed my problem by reverting back to an older BIOS for my particular motherboard. It was the automatic updating of the BIOS that created my problem apparently. MSI has a feature they call LIVEUPDATE that periodically checks for new BIOS' , drivers & utilities for your motherboard. When it said there was a new BIOS, I allowed the program to automatically update the BIOS. I shouldn't have.

I have no serial number to give you for Acronis TrueImage 2009 because I have not purchased it. I was trying it out to see if it fixed my problem which it did not. Worse, it would not work with v1.6 of the AMI BIOS even though your older program, Acronis TrueImage 11 does. Apparently, both Acronis TrueImage 11 and Acronis TrueImage 2009 are not compatible with my motherboard (MSI K9A2 Platinum also known as MS-7376 Motherboard) with the BIOS updated to AMI BIOS v1.7 People thinking of updating to your newer product should probably think twice if the old product is working fine.

I have no interest in buying Acronis TrueImage 2009 if it does not work without me further downloading an additional product. I am on a dialup internet service (I can't get high speed internet service where I live) so buying products that require additional downloads won't work for me.

How big is this ISO file you are talking about anyway? And what does it do differently then the program we buy from you? Just curious why you sell a product that does not include this capability in the original purchase.

Regardless, my problem is solved and I do thank you for offering to help further, but I have no interest in experimenting (at my expense) further now that I figured this out on my own. This computer is my personal computer and the features in Acronis TrueImage v11 are all I need as long as they are working correctly which they are now. I restored my backup several days ago and I did my regularly weekly backup last night and everything is back to normal.

I would be glad to assist you by updating the BIOS and trying the ISO file and reporting back to you if it was successful. That might help you with other customers who have a similar motherboard as mine but as long as Acronis TrueImage v11 is working, I plan to continue using it. Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.