Unable to Install

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by fredra, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    OS -> Win 7 32bit
    I just downloaded ESS V5, UNinstalled my V4, then stared to install V5, but got "Error 1" and the install is unable to go further. o_O
    Please see attached file for a screenshot of the error message. :mad:
    Does anyone have a possible solution for this?
    Thanks
    Cheers :D

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

3. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Marcos
    I searched the forum and found that others had the same problem, however, they posted what they did to fix it, so I followed what they did, and it worked. :thumb:
    When installing V5, it told me that it found another AV (which I had never used on this machine). V4 had said the same thing but I told it to ignore and it had installed perfectly, so I was under the impression that V5 would do the same, and I was wrong. :doubt:
    So I went into the registry and removed the two instances I found of the identified c******/AV, and then installed V5, which proceeded without a problem. :D
    Thanks for your assistance.
    This thread can now be closed.
    Cheers :D

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you tell us what other AV was reported, and what registry keys you removed?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I had the same error 4 times. I finally re-installed ESET V4 (no problem) and then installed V5 over it and it went flawlessly. There were some server issues last night but I'm not sure if that was the cause.

6. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Yes, got that install error. Had to delete Norton and Symantec keys via a registry editor to fix it.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please provide us with step-by-step instructions how to make the message "1" appear? On my computer, another AV software was detected properly with its name and the message "1" wasn't thrown whatsoever.

8. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Not sure if there is a specific way to replicate the error.

Residual Norton/Symantec keys were not removed by the Norton cleaner or the Other AV uninstaller in ESET knowledge base.

On my Win7 64bit machine, both Norton AV and 360 Premiere had been installed at some point and both uninstalled via Control Panel. The ESS Error 1 window is thrown during ESS install when Norton is still detected and Retry or Ignore is selected. The ESS install is automatically backed out. The fix is to manually search for and delete Norton and Symantec keys found in the registry. The cleaner/uninstallers leave behind these keys.

I sent you a PNG image of the keys deleted from the registry. Since all Norton and Symantec keys were deleted, I'm not sure which were the cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.