unable to install firewall on new computer with windows 7

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nikonmama, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikonmama

nikonmama Registered Member

I just bought a new desktop this weekend weekend. It has windows 7 64bit loaded on it. Sunday I tried to install pc tools free firewall and everything was fine until it told me to restart my machine and after that I got the blue screen and the only way to get my pc to start back up was to go into safe mode and do a system restore. After that I tried to install comodo firewall and the SAME thing happened!!! From what I have read, both of those say they are compatible with windows 7. I decided to try again this morning with the pc tools firewall and again...same thing. Right now I am just using the windows firewall b/c I have no idea what is causing this problemo_O

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Looks like Comodo and PC tools firewall are only 32 bit.

3. nikonmama

I really thought that both sites listed that they supported windows 7 64 bit. Maybe I read wrong. Are there any others I can try? Although the BSOD has made me wary of trying another firewall. I just don't know enough about computers to figure out why I am having this problem with the firewalls and not with any other software (most of which is 32 bit software). Any suggestions will be appreciated!

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Have a look at:

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182946&postcount=63

You need compatibility with:

windows 7
    64 bit

The other thoughts are:

Is to activate the 2 way FW that comes with W7 it is similar to Vista and there are threads here how to set that up.

Advanced versions of W7 (Professional, Ultimate)have a compatibility mode feature that is supposed to help us run 32 bit applications. But I have not tried that my self YET.

5. nikonmama

ON the comodo and pc tools websites they both say they are compatible with windows 7 64bit. Are there any other free firewalls I could try? I tried to configure the windows 7 to operate as a 2 way firewall per instructions i found online. However, when I do I can no longer access the internet. The windows firewall controls are quite confusing and I can't figure out how to get it to allow access for certain programs. I had been using online armor on my laptop (which is about to be sent off for repair) and I really miss that! I didn't try installing it on my new desktop b/c i read that it isn't compatible with windows 7 64bit. that was why i decided to try pc tools and comodo since they both claim to be compatible. I just don't understand why I get the BSOD when I restart after installing both of those programs. I am just really frustrated with all of it right now.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

I had Comodo with Win7 Enterprise x64 with no problems. Did not use compatible mode either. It was the trial version for 3 months (Win7).

Even on Comodo's site they now have changed the system requirements to include Windows 7 for both 32 and 64bits.

Now have RTM but no Comodo as using the built-in firewall.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. nikonmama

does any one have any idea why I am getting the blue screen error message upon trying to restart my computer and complete installation of both pc tools and comodo firewalls? Both websites say that windows 7 64 bit is supported.

Are there any other good free firewalls I could try?

Also how can you configure windows 7 built in firewall to be 2 way? I tried setting it to block outbound connections but wasn't able to access the internet after that. I couldn't figure out how to make any exceptions......it just doesn't seem very user friendly or intuitive.

8. 2good

2good Guest

9. nikonmama

10. 2good

2good Guest

there is a tool called what crashed download that & install a firewall in case something happens what crashed could give you detail about it.

11. nikonmama

I haven't heard of that before. would it work in safe mode? all 3 times I have tried installing one of these firewalls the only way to start windows back up was to enter safe mode.

12. 2good

2good Guest

sorry but the correct name is whocrashed , I think you might have a hardware issue with that pc but I could be wrong I would not suggest that you install outside firewall till you find out whats going on with that pc

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

13. nikonmama

I wonder what kind of hardware issues I could have. It is brand new....only had it for 4 days. Should I call Dell and try to do some troubleshooting with them? I haven't had any problems at all with any other program and I have installed a LOT since I set it up saturday afternoon.

14. 2good

2good Guest

15. 2good

2good Guest

nikonmama did you uninstall old firewall driver before installing the latest ?

16. Roberteyewhy

You said that you got this PC from Dell [preloaded o_O] with Windows. Are you sure there isn't another firewall or suite like Norton Internet Security already running?

17. nikonmama

by uninstalling the driver...what do you mean? I am sorry if I sound dense....I am only semi-computer literate when it comes to all this technical stuff.

The first firewall I tried to install was pc tools. it went through the the installation process and told me to restart to complete. I did that and almost immediately got the blue screen and then it went black and started to reboot.....they I got the black screen that gave the options to start in safe mode, or start windows normally. I selected start normally and got the blue screen again and then back to black and back to the start up options screen. So I started in safe mode and did a system restore to earlier that day before I installed pc tools firewall. After that was complete my computer started up as normal. Does that not delete the firewall driver or whatever?

Later that afternoon I tried with comodo and the same exact thing happened.

18. nikonmama

It is a dell I and bought at best buy on saturday. I did have norton pre-loaded on it but I uninstalled it immediately and didn't activate it. Windows firewall is the only firewall that the security center notes as currently running.

19. Roberteyewhy

Well I hope Norton has imploved it's uninstall process because before you had to manually get rid of ALL the remnants of it. Check to see in the services.msc and make sure none of Norton's services are still there and running.

Otherwise, you should have had no problems installing the other firewalls.

20. nikonmama

i honestly have no idea. I went through the uninstall and it seemed to uninstall smoothly and it doesn't show it as running. I didn't have problems installing avira after I did that. How could I tell if there are remnants left of it? I really wish I knew what is causing these problems. It makes me worry about the new computer.....i recently had a lot of problems with my laptop which is on its way to be repaired and I just want a nice stable machine!

21. Roberteyewhy

Check here first.

Start Menu >Administrative Tools>Serices

or

Start Menu>Run>type services.msc

or

Start Menu>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services

22. 2good

2good Guest

23. nikonmama

what would i look for in there? there is nothing named norton in any of those processes

24. Roberteyewhy

I do not know what it will be labled as now as I have not use Norton for so many years.

God forbid you have to do this through the registry.

25. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, call Dell I'm waiting for a new Dell W7 PC with 64 bit myself so it would be good to here what they said.

Mine is coming with McAfee security on it so I just had the horrible thought that you are trying to install a 3rd party Firewalls when you already have one! That is a definite NO NO! Ask them outright is there a 3rd party FW on this new box!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.