Unable to download with IE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gordito, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordito

Gordito Guest

Hi,

Whenever I left-click on any download link, a page comes up with an "x" in the upper lefthand corner. I'm still able to right-click and "Save As...", but there are times I NEED to left-click in order to have a successful download.

I had the download managers FlashGet and Net Transport installed, but uninstalled them both today. I think the problem started when I had installed Net Transport; but I'm not 100% sure.

I would be very grateful if someone would help me out here.

Thanks,
    Gordy

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Gordito,

It does sound like uninstalling FlashGet or Net Transport may have caused some problem with your ability to download now with IE.

I had a similiar experience when I uninstalled QuickTime on my Win98se (with IE 5.5) awhile ago, but I didn't have the X in the upper corner of the browser. I had the small box with the 3 symbols in it. So I am not sure if this thread will help you or not, or if there is another way to fix your problem with left-clicking to download: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5355

But look through it and let us know if anything there looks familiar or might be helpful. Then we can try and narrow down what caused the problem and find the fix for it.

snap

3. Gordito

Gordito Guest

Forget karma cookies...I'm baking you a karma CAKE! Thanks so friggin' much, snapdragin!!

The link you posted with your similar experience was spot on. The culprit WAS FlashGet - it killed the download function in favor of its proprietary download engine. Taking a peek inside the Extension key, I saw that its settings remained inside the registry even after the main program was uninstalled. After deleting this entry and rebooting, everything is as they should be. I'll be sticking with FreshDownload since that was my primary "alternative" DL manager anyways. ;)

By the way, it was the icon with the 3 symbols; I just had writer's block as to how to describe it. I figured they were similar. LOL.

Cheers again, mate!
    Gordito

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

A whole CAKE! Wow...we'd have to have a party then. :D

I'm so glad you found the link helpful and the solution to fix your download problem. That's great to hear, Gordito!

Best regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.