Unable to dl VMWare player or virtual appliances

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Longboard, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

DAMN
    AFter a ahem -cough- slight snafu which required an older image recovery I have been unable to get VMWare player to dl:
    Get through the "registration" page: hit [SUBMIT] and keep getting message "cannot connect to now.eloqoa.com"

Also cannot dl any appliances with HTTP : get a message "please be patient.." then blank page.

Have redl'd the VMWorkstation trial no probs form the link on vmware page, but the others dont seem to be going well :(

Will not go through on IE or FF2.0.0.4 with NOScript set to allow all ??

Cant actually recall changing any settings: what have I left out??

Any tips appreciated.

2. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Torrents?
    Want it uploaded to rapidshare or something?

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Longboard

Thanks Enigmah, generous of you.

At the moment I'll play with the eval of VMWorkstation ( which dl'd without issue ) and Virtual Box and easy .vmx ( a very cool site indeed :) )

I've tried reading about 'torrents' and torrent clients and it makes my head spin.
    My ISP (Telstra Big Pond = virtual monopoly in Oz :gack: ) measures down and up loads for my monthly quota.

1) Is there an idiots guide to torrents; install and use. ??

Some of the Linux virtual applinces aare biggish dl's and some of the straight CD/DvD torrent dl's from the Linux OS sites are big too.

Hence 2) if the file size is say 3Gb what would/might my participation in a torrent "cost" me in terms of usage?

From what I read the idea behind torrents is to "share"

Regards.

5. WSFuser

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Really stupid question here. I downloaded the free VMware player just to compare with virtualbox which I also have.

Well, VMware player doesn't seem to want to work with anything. I'm guessing it's the .vm- thing at the end. I've tried downloading various software and VMware player won't open any of them, including Linux distros. No problem with the also free VirtualBox.

Anybody have an idea what I'm not doing, or am doing wrong?

7. WSFuser

8. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

It depends on what upload speed you select, and how long you continue to seed (upload) you've completed the download.
    In a perfect world, you would upload the same amount of data as you download, but in reality, it's up to you.

I usually d/l torrents towards the end of the "month" so that even if I do exceed my monthly allowance, I only have a day or two on dial up speeds. telstra will send you an email before you reach your monthly limit.

I'm with telstra too, btw. :)

9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

That really sucks about your ISP. Some measures can be taken to circumvent ISP's that monitor and limit your bandwidth, but it seems in this case, you're SOL. Looks like the better options for you is to have one of us on the forum upload a file you need and you can download from there.
    If you choose to do torrents, try to limit the upload and limit the # of connections per torrent. If you use Utorrent, use the option to encrypt the download.

There is a VMconverter that converts between various virtual machine types: VMware-converter-3.0.1-44840

10. Longboard

Thanks for the replies and links guys

Not sure why I cant get to the vmware downloads :doubt:
    Some config file, something blocked some where in FW or FF,something ...dont know why when all else is working :(

ANyway, more than enough to go on with atm :)

Now: to find the definitive links for installing the vmware tools or VBox additions into the various Linux distros :eek:

Is there a link ( apart from the Innotek and VMWare sites' lists ) where some one has posted the distros that will work in vm's ?

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Longboard,

I haven't found a distro that hasn't worked and as you may know by now you can choose by other linux___.x kernel in VMWare Workstation.

How to install vmware tools in linux

There is nothing hard about VM software and virtual machines, some get put off by thinking its complicated - it really isn't.

12. Longboard

Thanks Meriadoc

Saw that link
    Still getting rolling with Linux in VmWare/virtual machines

This needs an upgrade to the wetware :blink:

I might end up posting about "linux for the terminally Konsole challenged" :doubt: :D

Slowly getting there.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.