Unable to delete trial version of Acronis

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Delmar, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delmar

Delmar Registered Member

I have Windows Vista Premium and the boxed Acronis True Image Home 2009 software.

My problem is that I am unable to get rid of 15 day trial version in order to install the permanent version. When I try to install the new version, I get a message saying that the installation can’t proceed because another version is already installed..

I have tried to delete that trial version every way I know. I have done that by going through Start/Control Panel/Programs and Features/Acronis/Delete, by deleting all related files I could find in All Programs and in the Programs Files Folder and I have deleted all the Short Cuts to Acronis. But after several attempts and rebooting each time, the program is still listed under Programs and Features as “ Acronis True Image Home -2009-01-12 - 120 MB”

Can anyone please provide some clues as to how I can delete that trial version. The only thing left may be to delete the registry key for that program but that is beyond me and I would not attempt that unless I had detailed instructions to follow.

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You might try 'System Restore-works for s lot of them.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

4. Delmar

Delmar Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions

I have downloaded and tried the Acronis Cleanup Utility following instructions closely but only with part success.

I still have “Acronis True Image Home - 120 MB” listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features but now the Icon is blank, the name of the Publisher and the installation date have disappeared and I no longer have the Uninstall/Change option available when I click on the program name. So there is nothing more I can do with that Utility

A further attempt to install Acronis True Image Home 2009 still results in failure with the message “ E00640003 - An error occurred during installation. Another version of this product is already installed and must be removed first.” It follows with instructions on how to remove that earlier version by going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (Which by the way does not exist in the Control Panel of Windows Vista and you have to assume that they mean Programs and Features). But following that path just brings up the same error message

When I look at the 64+ caracter key I have to use to register and the form I have to fill, I hate to have to go to Acronis Support. I have already spent two days at this and by the time I get their answer, I will probably have spent a week trying to get rid of that trial copy.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You might try putting your system restore back to just prior to the uninstall. Then try re-installing 2009 again. Version 2009 is different. The trial version does not need to be removed. 2009 has a feature of user adding the serial number to the trial version to make it legitimate.

The quickest way to get a response from Acronis support is to use the Live Chat feature available from your personal registration page.

Otherwise,
    Another option might to restore a System checkpoint prior to installing the test version?

Do you use any Registry Cleaners which might assist. Even cCleaner might help. One of its options to scan the registry but it removes only the most obvious items.

6. Delmar

Delmar Registered Member

CCleaner and Registry Easy did not help but System Restore did.

I did not want to use System Restore at first because I recently got rid of some corrupted software and since I did not recall exactty when, I did not want to see it reappear. But having no choice, I used a recovery point just prior to my first attempt to delete the tial copy of Acronis.. This way, I was able to recover it and this time the Acronis Cleanup Utility deleted it entirely. I was then able to install the Commercial version without any problem

Looking back at the events that lead to this situation, I am now convinced that I was drawn into it by erroneous directions in the documentation. Chapter 2.1 of the User Guide clearly says that the Trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 must be removed from the System before installing the Commercial Version and of course it is the first thing I tried to do. But as you say in your last post, the version Home 2009 is excluded from that requirement. I later saw this confirmed in the FAQ section of the Acronis Web site. So, I got into this mess by following the instructions of the User Guide.

Anyway, my problem is solved and I thank you all for your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.