Unable to create static copy of active snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I am getting the following error message when I try to do an update to an archived snapshot from my active snapshot:

"Unable to create static copy of active snapshot."

I am using ShadowProtect v3.3, which also uses VSS and it appears that there is some kind of conflict. I did not get this error until I updated from ShadowProtect 3.2 a couple of days ago.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I have to switch back to RSS?

Many thanks,

Silver

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

How did you update to 3.3 Uninstall reinstall or install over.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, probably it has to do with VSS... I had exactly the same with a snapshot where I had a ripped trimmed XP3 version, RSS gave the same. Update and copy worked however doing it from another snapshot...

4. silver0066

Hi Pete,

I installed over v3.2. It appears that if I run ShadowProtect just before updating an archive, I get the error. If I reboot the error does not appear. If I run FD-ISR before ShadowProtect, no error.

Silver

5. Peter2150

Hi Silver

I am going to upgrade SP, but I am going to do an uninstall reinstall. I'll let you know what happens.

Pete

6. silver0066

Thanks

7. Peter2150

Hi Silver

Finally got to do the update to 3.3. The procedure I followed was:

1. Deactivate the desktop program
    2. Uninstall the Imagemanager.
    3. Uinstall the Desktop 2.2 version.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Install V 3.3 of the Desktop
    6. Activate
    7 Install V3.3 of Imagemanager.
    8. Reboot.

I then did an Archive update with FDISR using VSS. Worked just fine.

Pete

8. silver0066

Hi Pete,

I assume that you did a StorageProtect backup before doing the Archive update. I will follow your instructions and see what happens and let you know.

Silver

9. Peter2150

Actually I updated my archive, imaged the system and then did the above procedure.

Pete

10. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

As weird as this may sound, it also has something to do with the following services, and the services depending on them:
    COM+ Event System
    COM+ System Application

The default configuration of the above services are:
    COM+ Event System : Manual (Started)
    COM+ System Application : Manual

If you disable those services and try to copy your active snapshot to an archived snapshot you will get the "Unable to create static copy of active snapshot" error. If you then put those services on the default value, reboot, and do a copy you will not get the error.

11. silver0066

Hi Pete:

What I meant was that it occurs only if I do a StorageProtect backup, Full or Incremental and then immediately follow that with an Archive update, I get the error.

Silver

12. silver0066

Murderlove,

The services you list are set to On Demand on my machines. I assume by Manual you mean On Demand as there isn't a Manual setting for services in XP. I still get the error if I Archive from FD-ISR immediately after performing a StorgageProtect backup, incremental or full.

Silver

13. Peter2150

Hi Silver

I just did a full image and verify from the Desktop with 3.3. Then when that was done, I was able to update my archive from the primary. VSS started in FDISR just fine.

Pete

14. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

Hey Silver,

I suppose that On Demand is the same as Manual. Unfortunately I do not have experience with Storage Protect/Shadow Protect so I cannot help any further.

Perhaps you could look into the services list just before doing a backup with ShadowProtect, and after the backup compare which services has changed or something like that?

Hopefully you will find the problem.

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Odd, there is in my XPo_O

16. silver0066

stapp,

You are right. Manual = On Demand. I was looking at services through Anvir Task Manager.

Silver

17. silver0066

Hi Pete,

Thanks much. I did an uninstall/reinstall as you suggested and that fixed the issue.

Silver

18. Peter2150

Great. Glad to hear it.

Pete

19. silver0066

I just followed your instructions on my laptop. I still get this error when I use First Defense:

"Unable to create static copy of active snapshot." Not only that, I cannot reactivate ShadowProtect even though I deactivated before uninstalling.

What is with this company anyway? How do I activate the software that I paid for?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  20. Peter2150

Hi Silver

Assuming it's a different license it should be a problem. If the license is for two computers(I don't know if they do that) the system might get confused. Contacting their tech support should get that issue resolved.

As to the other issue, only thing I can suggest is Uninstall both of them and try putting them back on, maybe with SP first. I'd try and get the license issue squared away first.

Pete

21. silver0066

I have two licenses. They were activated on my desktop and laptop. When I tried your suggestion of uninstalling/reinstalling on my desktop, it reactivated and it worked without problems.

Yesterday, I did the same thing with my laptop, using the other license with which it was activated. When I did the uninstall/reinstall, it would not reactivate. To fix, I recovered from the CD and now it is activated. However, I am still having the same problem when updating an archive with First Defense on the laptop.

Maybe I did something wrong when I uninstalled ShadowProtect from the laptop.

I have sent a ticket to Customer Support, but I suppose they won't respond over the weekend.

Thanks for your help,

Silver

22. Peter2150

Sounds like their activation mechanism is getting confused. If SP was uninstalled did FDISR work okay?

pete

23. silver0066

Yes, it worked normally.

Silver

24. Peter2150

Okay, that suggests you need the uninstall reinstall, which just means getting the activation issue straightened out.

Pete

25. silver0066

They still have not even responded to my ticket. I thought they used to have good support.

Silver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.