Unable to boot on xp in safe mode, freezes on hotcore3.sys file.

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ronman, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ronman

ronman Registered Member

Hi. First post. Thanks in advance for any help that I get.

I've used probably a very old version of paragon backup and restore to create a back up disc and image just in case. I did it so long ago I'm not even sure if my computer is running off the back up that I did i.e. that I ever used the back up that I made.

My computer appeared to have loaded up normally today but although the cursor was moving I wasn't able to click and open any programmes and the task manager wouldn't open up. I used the power switch to restart my computer but it froze as a black screen just after the windows load up screen. Starting windows under the last known good configuration did the same thing. Starting windows in safe mode froze on a file called hotcore.3.sys which I believe is a file belonging to the paragon programme. I've got an xp rescue disc from a previous computer which seems to load up okay but am unsure how to use it to rectify my problems.

Please can you help me?

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  3. ronman

ronman Registered Member

Thanks. I Tried deleting that file through the recovery console and command prompts and it said "access denied".

4. fireworker

You got administrator privileges, the password entered?

5. ronman

ronman Registered Member

Thanks again. It didn't ask me for a password. Also I tried using the link you gave about reg edit but it said command not recognised. Is this simple stuff? I'm on the verge of re-installing an old back up.

6. fireworker

delete the file by booting from external media, IMHO the easiest task
    (editing the registry from the command line is much harder)
    You do not have any on hand WinPE-CD?

7. ronman

ronman Registered Member

Hello again. I used an AVG free rescue cd to have a mooch about and remove the files that you said. I then restarted in safe mode and got a hang on mup.sys. I was worried there must be some more major corruption on the disk but tried restarting in normal mode anyway. During the restart windows did a check disk automatically (possibly co-incidentally), I'm not sure if it found any disk errors. Anyway, the computer has loaded up and is working completely normally, great!!!!!!
    Should I do any maintenance work to make sure the drive is okay? I suppose I should make a new back up in case of further corruption and possibly some kind of check disk.

Thanks ever so much!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.