Unable to boot from CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Daniel Demers, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been trying to boot from the Acronis Recovery CD I have made, but havent had any luck.

Machine: 8171-31U (IBM Machine type/model)

Things I have done.
    1. Tried making both a Safe Mode and Full Version Boot CD.... No Go
    2. Tried using both CDs on another Machine. Both worked fine.
    3. Tried booting using Windows PE ... Booted fine.
    4. Tried booting using an old Norton Ghost Boot CD.... Booted fine.

I have tried booting so many times, using so many different BIOS settings, that I am 99% sure its not a BIOS settings. I have never seen a computer not boot from a certain CDs. Normally if I have a bootable CD, it works unless something is wrong on the machine side (ie. Configuration or something.).

Since I am new to this software, I am wondering if this is a common issue?

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

How does it not boot?

Skipping the CD completely and booting from the hard disk?

Booting from the CD, but hanging before/after the splash screen?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Daniel Demers,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 826 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Then create the new bootable CD and try to boot from it.

If the problem remains please detach all external USB devices you don't need in Acronis rescue mode. If it does not help, please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Irina Shirokova.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. Thanks for the information. I am currently downloading the patch, and will report back.

MiniMax,
    It just by-passes the CD-ROM boot and goes right into Windows. The light on the CD-ROM does flicker a bit, but then just keeps on going.

5. Well after updating my version, then making a new recovery CD, I was able to boot fine! Withing 40 seconds, I had started transfering my image to a server. I am currently testing out a restore and its all looking good.

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I tried to boot from the old version again (just to see if it was an issue) and I was unable to.

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

THANK YOU for reporting back on your success!

Sounds like the CD's you created where marginal on the original system, yet they worked on a different PC? Did you use a different type of CD's this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.