Unable to assign drive letter

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by donchanger, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donchanger

donchanger Registered Member

Hello,

I am using TI9 (build 2323). I created an image containing two drives (locally, C: and G:, both are partitions of the same physical drive). The image was automatically split into 5 DVD-size files.

I want to restore a single file. I right-clicked on the first of the 5 image files and chose "Plug". After proceeding through the screens, I chose only the single drive within the image containing the file I want. I almost immediately heard the sound that Windows makes when it detects a new device, but after about 30 seconds, TI reported that it was unable to assign a drive letter.

I re-tried using Operations/Plug Image from within TI. Same result. I also re-tried selecting both drives within the image - same result.

I have seen other posts asking for several screenshots and report files to be submitted. I don't mind the screenshots, but the Acronis Report include information from several sectors on the disk, some of which contain pieces of source code from programs that we do not want distributed.

Has this issue (unable to mount images) been resolved?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello donchanger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that in order to mount an image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you should copy all files from all discs to one separate folder on your hard drive and only after that start a mounting process using embedded Plug Image tool.

Please also note that even if you do not have an ability to copy all files from all discs to one separate folder on your hard drive (e.g. there is no free space), you still can restore individual files and folders from the image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs using Recovery Wizard. In this case you should insert the last created CD\DVDs first (CD\DVD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions. Please read more information on how to perform these actions in section section 5.2 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. donchanger

Thanks.

All of the split image files are on a local hard disk. I do imaging to a second internal HDD and then burn to DVD for archiving as needed.

The "Plug" fails when I try to access this local image that is split into 5 DVD-size files.

Any other thoughts?

4. donchanger

One more thought - I followed the suggestion to use the Recovery Wizard. It seemed to proceed OK but I ran into a separate problem with EFS that I will post separately - it appears that any files imaged off a folder that has been encrypted with NTFS encryption (EFS) were restored with correct file name, date, and timestamp - but all are 0-byte files with no data.

5. Acronis Support

Hello donchanger,

Please accept my apologies for misunderstanding your initial post. I though that the image is already on DVDs.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please verify the image archive by means of the Check Archive tool.

If the image archive verifies as corrupted then I'm afraid it can not be mounted as avirtual drive by means of the embedded Plug Image tool.

If the you are able to successfully verify the image by means of the Check Archive tool then please make a shot of the latest screen of the Plug Image wizard which contains the operation scenario (see the example below).

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;

- Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;

- Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;

- Choose Paste command in Edit menu;

- Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please also run "regedit" command and let us know the data lines of the below registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

Could you please also do the following?

- Download SetupApiLog.zip, unpack it and run in order to add the information to the Windows registry;

- Delete \Windows\setupapi.log and reboot the computer;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the setupapi.log file created;

- Let us know whether there is a delay after hitting Proceed and getting the error message;

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Attached Files:

6. Jon_Cosby

Jon_Cosby Registered Member

How would I go about copying those files? Does TrueImage have a utility for this?

Jon Cosby

7. Acronis Support

Hello Jon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image 9.0 does not have any utility to copy files from CD/DVD to the hard drive.

Please use Windows Explorer and the like to perform it.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. Jon_Cosby

Jon_Cosby Registered Member

That could be a problem if the system has been rendered unusable, which is the kind of situation TrueImage might be used for.

Jon

9. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Jon Cosby,

If the system has been rendered unusable, your primary concern will probably be to restore the system disk. You can do that directly from DVDs, even if your image spans over several of them. After booting from rescue CD, you insert the last DVD in the set first.

With the system disk working, you proceed by copiying all the files stored on DVDs to one folder and then you can carry out the Plug Image procedure. Only Plug Image requires you to have all image files in the same folder.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.