Unable to Access One Particular Website

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have an account at gamerlimit.com. Typically, I go to the site and sign in. Tonight, when I go to the site, I get a message "account suspended" before I can even attempt to sign on. Friends can access the site with out any problem.

My friends tell me there is a message on the website about a server movement, and there are issues with "DNS propogation". I don't know what that means.

Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this for just me? I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but I did run ccleaner today and deleted cookies, temp files etc., which I have done many times before before without affecting my ability to access the website. I am also getting this same message reagrdless of how I access the site - IE 8, firefox or chrome.

2. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hi...the site is changing its host/datacenter thus experiencing server glitches....

as quoted from site

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Kasperking -

Would that explain my inability to get on, when other individuals appear to be having no problem accessing the site?

4. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

This is the explanation I received:

Your local server hasn't updated its DNS records to point to the new server, so consequently you are ending up on the old server. There isn't a lot you can do, except wait for the server to update.

Can someone explain what this means? Where is the local server - who maintains it?

Thanks,
    Len

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

GlobalForce -

Okay, so I am now at a different location with different ISP. I try to access gamerlimit.com and it goes through. I ping the website and it gives me a numeric IP address. When I enter the numeric IP address into the address bar, it doesn't work. Why is that? (I was hoping I could use the direct numeric entry until such time as the DNS server is updated with my home ISP.)

8. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Because his server has something like 67.222.22.5/~gamer/ as the document root. Try doing the IP access via your hosts file instead.

9. norky

norky Registered Member

you could switch to something like opendns or googledns if you wanted to see if that would help

10. LenC

LenC Registered Member

This is over my head, but I'm trying. I read up on the concept of a host file - I understand it and have located it - right now, it has no entries - just comments. I'm still not sure what entry I would put in there. Is it as simple as:

67.222.22.5 gamerlimit.com

11. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I tried this
    and it worked!

Thank you so much - learned a lot and fixed my problem - life is good.

I will look at this and try to understand it.

12. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Yes exactly like that, sorry i should of mentioned exactly how to do it.

With the IP and path thing, it's just a way for an IP address to have numerous sites and hosting setups on it since not all sites have their own dedicated IP sometimes there's thousands of sites on an IP address. So if you had a site on that server also it could be:

67.222.22.5/~gamer/
    67.222.22.5/~lenc/

Just think of it like on your PC you have C:\Users\LenC then you have your own profile, only the above is an Apache version.

Excellent. ;)

13. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Still got a problem.

This is now in my host file:

And it gives me access to the gamerlimit site. However, the site has numerous "subsites" such as:

game1.gamerlimit.com
    game2.gamerlimit.com

And I can't access these sites. Is there a way to use something like a wildcard to provide access to all these "subsites"?

I tried this and it didn't seem to have any affect:
    67.222.22.5 */gamerlimit.com

Thanks!

14. LenC

LenC Registered Member

From what I've been reading, this is not possible without using a tool like OpenDNS. I'd prefer not to get involved with that because I am assuming ISP's local DSN server will be updated sometime soon. In the meantime, I can live with what I have and just list multiple sub-domains in the host file one at a time.

15. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

As pointed out by someone above, temporarily switch to OpenDNS. Right click on your wireless/wired card and go to "properties", then select "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and select "use the following DNS address" and enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Enter the same DNS addresses in the "Internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)", just in case your ISP uses TCP/IPv6.

This will bypass your ISP's DNS and you will not have problems accessing your website. You can switch back after a couple of days.

EDIT: I just noticed you don't prefer Open DNS. Disregard my post.

16. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Raza0007 -

Sounds interesting - I need to read more about OpenDns and maybe then I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
    Len

17. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks Norky -

I switched to googledns - didn't realize how straightforward this is. Problem solved.

Len

18. LenC

LenC Registered Member

The format for entering DNS addresses for TCP/IPv6 is different. Instead of giving 4 slots, there is just one. I tried putting in 8.8.8.8 (for google DNS) and it told me it was an invalid address.

What format should be used?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.