Un-Install

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Loki, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hello,

A simple question, is it better to use a programs un-install or use the add/remove in control panel? :oops:

Loki :cool:

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Well personally I do not know what is *better* as long the the damn program you are trying to uninstall is uninstalled.

I usually give the program's UNINSTALLER a go first, and maybe have to delete an empty folder, etc. manually later on, but if that does not work then the Add/Remove Program is given a shot [after reinstalling the program] to see if it does a better job.

I also have Tweak and another program [forget the name now, darn] that will remove the program *name* from the Add/Remove listings if it fails to do so after the program has been uninstalled.

3. snowy

snowy Guest

LOKI

personally I have found both ways to be lacking.....an the use of some form of registry cleaning needed

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Clarification

usually I will un-install by mean of either the programs un-installer or by add/remove..........afterwards I double check by some form of registry cleaning program

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yep, that's a given! Use jv16 Power Tools, etc. to then clean REgistry :)

6. snowy

snowy Guest

TASSIE

LOL...when you mentioned "tweak" I kinda thought thats what you were referring to....you seem really on the ball with your computer......compliments to you

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Both ways doesn't work very well, at your machine stays in most cases a lot of rubbish!

There are uninstall-programs who are doing the job (almost) perfect, f.e. McAfee QuickClean 3.0

8. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Loki,
    here's a past thread on un-installers !
    It's a good one !! ;)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4896

regards,
    bill ;)

9. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies, as I usually re-install my OS about once every three months I don't worry to much about left overs, unless I start having problems. I was just wondering if one way worked a little better.

eyespy, thanks for the link. :D

snowy, I read your link on the bad program un-installing, i'm going to read it again. :D

Thanks again
    Loki :cool:

10. JayK

JayK Poster

Actually the 2 methods should be equalavant.

The entry in add/remove program is just a registry key that links to the real uninstall program. If for some reason your add/remove program panel is totally broken (ie you can't even access it)

You can actually do this.

Start regedit
    go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Uninstall

Find the key of the application you want to remove. You can usually tell by looking at the path.

Look at the uninstall string and you will find the commands you need to type to start the uninstall manually.

This is the same as clicking on add/remove program actually

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.