µMatrix - the HTTP Switchboard successor

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tlu, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I am with you of the same opinion that files updating is confusing. Gorhill is a developer, so things are sometimes hard to understand. I stopped wondering and I usually just update my Chrome extensions manually. Also because of my security software.

Running Sandboxied, some hole would have to be most likely made to SBIE settings that I am reluctant to do. My updating goes like this: I shut down and restart my computer, then change AppGuard to medium mode from locked down. Starting browser unsandboxed I check first if browser has an update.

After that because I have behind-the-scene scope blocked I allow it temporary to make it possible to install extensions. I then turn developer mode on and check updates for uMatrix and uBlock Origin. Or get the latest from github site. After that I manually update the hosts files and 3rd party filters. I don't think it makes much difference if they are a bit old. Click on the file and you should usually see a date on some of the files.

But yes, valid questions from you. Ones that surely have already been answered somewhere. Automatic is just not my way of doing things.

2. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Purge: It restores the original filter list file came from the installation package.
    Its main purpose is, if some recent update breaks any filter list, you can restore to original filter list package and use it until filter authors resolved the issue. (kind of an advanced feature :) )

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Aha, Purge suggested in my mind. Lists cleanup / maintenance. Restore to original never entered my mind...
    Well, with new perspective. I'm back to un-check Auto-update and will check last update date.
    I had a site block by Hosts. Site check at Zulu showed site Benign.
    Does uMatrix check hostnames against some criteria or are lists offered as is...?
    @Jarmo P = Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. harsha_mic

I am not sure why gorhill disabled Auto Update by default. But i prefer it to have Auto Update checked, unless one suffers from bad filter updates frequently..

No, it simply checks with filter lists. And blocks the site, if a filter exists.

5. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Long-lived has 0 used out of 3450
    What's up with 0

6. harsha_mic

that means, those 3450 entries have been covered in the other filter lists...
    uMatrix has dupe check, to eliminate all the duplicates.

7. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Aha, that explains... list used out of less than number... = dupe check
    Great ~ Thanks

8. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Is anyone getting this new notification for both ublock and umatrix? :eek:

umatrix.jpg

9. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

10. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

@puff-m-d A thousand thank you's!! Thought for a moment there the extensions may've been compromised.

11. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello Lagavulin16,

No problem ;) as you are most welcome :thumb: !

12. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Chrome now shows "Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly" in settings as being controlled by the extension uMatrix.

13. busy

busy Registered Member

More: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases/tag/0.9.1.2

14. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

15. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Configuring uMatrix for Social network blocking?

Currently I have uBlock and uMatrix installed (firefox) However, the only elements of uBlock I'm really interested in, are the Anti-social block-lists. Is there anyway I can emulate - assuming it's even necessary - these lists in uMatrix or do I need to keep uBlock solely for this purpose?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  16. Overdone

Overdone Registered Member

How do I make it so umatrix automatically refreshes tabs, after any change (in chromium)? I've read gorhill disabled that option for firefox, but did he also remove for it for chrome? I found it very very usefull and it kind of pisses me off now.

17. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

From v0.9.0.0

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Chrome:

Using uMatrix and uBlock₀
    I have disabled the advanced user setting in uBlock₀, removed everything under Multipurpose plus Peter Lowe's list. Left the Malware domains (except Spam 404).
    Question: Will all rules under My Rules be ignored due to having disabled advanced user mode ?
    I have noticed that I can add rules pertaining to no-cosmetic-filtering which are not ignored. See http://www.cnbcafrica.com/
    The chart on the right will only be shown if no-cosmetic-filtering is set to true. I suppose that is because no dynamic filtering is involved ?
    Btw. in 0.9.8.3 I see no-popups: jessehakanen.net true - was that one added by gorhill ?

19. busy

busy Registered Member

Yes, they will. Sorry.

Only the dynamic filtering rules will be ignored under My Rules.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  20. busy

busy Registered Member

Static filtering -> Easylist

There are element hiding rules in Easylist. Also, you can check the logger to see what gets blocked and why.

21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks busy. You have confirmed what I surmised.
    Lastly do you also have this entry ? Can't remember having specifically set that one.
    Probably one of the static filters (Disconnect ?)
    "Btw. in 0.9.8.3 I see no-popups: jessehakanen.net true "

Edit: Oh I see it is to test for pop-ups on http://jessehakanen.net/adblockpluspopupaddon/test.html

So I was responsible. :isay:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  22. busy

busy Registered Member

No, I don't have that entry.

23. rethink

rethink Registered Member

I have the classic lists in umatrix, when i try to download ublock0 from github it connects here:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/github-cloud/

But this is blocked due to the lists. Anyone having the same problem?
    Its from malware domains list, but i do not know why!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  24. gorhill

gorhill Guest

False positive. For some reasons, s3.amazonaws.com mistakenly ends up sometimes in the malware list. This happened again this week.

There should be an update available in the "3rd-party filters" pane, as I forced an update of all assets this morning.

25. gorhill

gorhill Guest

In general I consider people using uMatrix more likely to prefer opt-in features when it comes to remote connections. Having the setting opt-in ensure no bug opened because uMatrix connected somewhere without their approval. Even then, this still does not guarantee no misunderstanding...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.