UltraVNC blocked even when allowed

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by psychokilla, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I use UltraVNC to control my dedicated server on the internet, with version 3 it worked fine when allowed through the firewall. With version 4 however, even though I allow the process through the firewall it times out and closes. When I disable the firewall though it works perfectly fine.

Could it be the port that is getting blocked even though the process is supposedly allowed?

Just found that it's blocking game servers running on the same box, so HLSW does not show the server working with the firewall running even though that process is also allowed full access.

EDIT: I've tried adding the IP address of the dedi server to the trusted zone of the firewall but this did not help.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

What mode is the firewall operating in, and can you describe your network configuration in more detail?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. psychokilla

It happens when the firewall is in automatic mode and when it's in interactive mode. My network is a home network running on an ADSL router, with 2 of the PCs going through a gigabit switch. When I disable the firewall there is no problem so I don't really see why my setup makes any difference?

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Knowing the network topology can be very helpful for troubleshooting purposes. Can you tell me the brands and models of your networking gear?

In the advanced setup for ESET Personal Firewall in the IDS and Advanced Options section, are the Maintain inactive TCP connections and Enable communication for bridged connections enabled?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. psychokilla

I've gone back to version 3 which does not show this behaviour, it works fine.

My router is a Thomson TG585 v7 (0826TFJRS) (BeThere.co.uk provided), my network gigabit switch is a Pluscom N8PG-VSC7388.

The client computer is an Intel Skulltrail running Windows Vista Ultimate x32 with the SP2 beta v.113

Still not sure what different this makes as they work fine with version 3.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.