UltimateDefrag v3 - is THIS the very best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by qazwee, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isso

Isso Developer

zfactor - I think I know what the problem is and we'll come with a fix for this and a couple of other issues soon (I think in about a week).

EASTER - thank you very much, it's a great encouragement to hear something like that.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Re: UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

thanks!!!
    by the way microsoft discourages, disheartens to install the fix about the api & defrag bugo_O o_O

3. corttex

corttex Registered Member

Hi
    I have problem with defrag of external hard drive - Transcend NTFS 320 GB. When I try to defrag or consolidate ( with or without very fast placement options), UD3 say defragmented in split of second but don't defrag or consolidate anything. Also Boot Time defrag don't work with this external drive. All works well with flash memory sticks.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

on another system a 64 bit one i am having a issue with remembering the settings, each time i open it the settings are back to default?? any ideas?? this is the only program doing this on that system

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i find maybe a small bug

move folder close to the mft
    ultimate defrag move them to the reserved zone that is far, distant from the mft zone

6. dcodeking

dcodeking Registered Member

Hello Isso,

I'm very testing v3 right now. I'm just curious what will happen if I drag a file to a specific location that has files in it?

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Re: UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Thanks for the responses Isso. One more question or request: Is it possible to run an analysis or to update database in the background via command line? I like that you did not add an always-on service or driver to monitor file usage, but how about adding the option to have it run as a scheduled task in the background, for example, once a day with some conditions included such as skip, delay or re-schedule the database update task if over 33% of CPU is in use?

p.s. I'm testing UD3 on one virtual machine and on my secondary computer (Dell desktop). Both are running 32-bit Win XP/SP3. So far UD3 has worked flawlessly on both including the boot time defrag.

8. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

Hi Isso,

I already sent this to support@distrix.com, but I thought it might be interesting for others too.

Bugs in boot defrag (on WinXP SP3):

1) The calculation of the MFT zone seems to be amiss. For illustration, my $MFT is 15MB. I identified two cases:

a) If I set the Reserved zone size smaller than the MFT size (say 10MB), everything is OK after boot defrag ($MFT = 15MB, Reserved zone = 10MB, Total 25MB).

b) If I set it larger than the MFT size (say 20MB), after boot defrag the Reserved zone is smaller than expected ($MFT = 15MB, Reserved zone = 5MB, Total 20MB). I tried different values and I believe it is always reduced by the size of $MFT (in other words, the setting for the Reserved zone is taken for the total $MFT+zone size).

Note: The numbers in the boot defrag settings dialog ("MFT Reserved zone size", "MFT size" and "MFT plus Reserved zone size") are always consistent.

2) Check the following:
    -Run boot defrag once.
    -Change only the MFT Reserved zone size (not the starting cluster of the whole Metafile block).
    -Run boot defrag again, boot defrag will start but it skipps over all items rather quickly (saying Done) and nothing is actually changed.

3) Just a display bug in the boot defrag settings: The relation of $MFT and "Reserved zone" in the upper indicator bar showing the metafiles is totally off (especially if the "big" files pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys are present). I know, it's all not to scale, but eg. when you set $MFT and Reserved zone equal, they should appear approx. the same size.

Isso, can you comment on those?

Thanx,
    Mike

9. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

And one more thing:

The program icon (the pink globe) is only 24bit color at 32x32 resolution. The other resolutions are all 32bit (with transparency) but in WinXP the 32x32 icon is used on the desktop. So the UD icon is the only one on my desktop showing the jagged edges of 24bit icons.
    Not very nice!

Mike

10. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Wow! It seems slow. SATA3 HDD, with 126gb, using the suggested consolidate option and its taking around 10 hours!

11. zfactor

while its no where near that slow for me it is def a lot slower than puran or perfectdisk so far.. even on a 930 system overclocked to 4.1 stable... its more sluggish imo

12. acrespo

acrespo Registered Member

I think UD is not designed for be faster than other defraggers but to optmize data more than others.
    In fact, my defrag is slower but my performance is great. Much more than puran defrag and perfect disk.

I couldn't run boot time feature in UD 2008. UD3 is working perfect without problems. Great work Distrix!!!

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

O&O FTW!
    HAHAHAHA ;)
    Still haven't tested Ultimate Defrag, will give it a try soon :rolleyes:

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This thread is not about your favorite defragger it's about UD.

Please confine remarks and questions to UD

Pete

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I do not see this option in setting??
    where does one locate it?

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

under the options button next to he defrag method you have chosen.

UD.png

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like a screensaver that can perform run ultimatedefrag v3 in the background

could be cool , like my defrag

:thumb:

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anyone having issue removing wildcards? I hit remove to get rid of them and after restarting UD the wildcard are still there.

19. zfactor

i have seen issues remember a lot of the settings as i said earlier.

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Sorry, didn't see that. I seem to have solved my problem. I renamed the Udefrag.xml file and reopened UD so it could create a new one. UD appears to save it's setting there.

21. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

NAMOR, thank you for that :thumb:
    I am so blind!! whew!! :argh:

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I was looking for it too after the install. :D

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@Isso

i can not understand one thing

i can move for example 1 file in a place of the hard disk (i tried on my partition xp installed)
    so i tried to move one file in the middle of the partition,and it works

but if i perform another defrag , ud3 re-move the file and puts in the faster zone .
    why doesn't remember i wanted a file in middle ?o_O
    thanks

24. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

Errr, can anyone confirm my described bugs in boot defrag? Has anyone tried it?

regards,
    Mike

25. zfactor

so far im less than impressed by this at this point. i really hope they fix a LOT of bugs. for now ive removed it from my main system it will remain on my test system for the next updates (if they come, sorry but after my past experiences im skeptical)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.