UltimateDefrag v3 - is THIS the very best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by qazwee, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NLight95

NLight95 Registered Member

I'm evaluating UD3 and was wondering if there is any way to completely exclude a drive from the defrag process. I see the option to exclude files but not a drive. I want to exclude my SSD. I've searched this thread but have not seen any reference to this question. Also, is there a way to exclude folders/directories?

I find the settings rather confusing (like the Options vs Settings button) so can anyone share some optimum settings for, say, a drive dedicated to games? To video files? To storage?

Thanks!

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

is there a way to avoid that ultimatedefrag defrags mtf always?

i mean everytime i run it and starts to defrag ,it starts to defrag MFT file system
    is there a way to avoid it?

thanks

3. Isso

Isso Developer

Hi guys, I'm sorry for disappearing. Several months ago I stopped working on UltimateDefrag and another developer took over it. Still I think I can answer most of the questions. Mantra - there is no way to cancel MFT defragmentation now sorry. Why do you want to do it? If MFT is defragmented then it'll take a fraction of a second to determine it and skip, and if it's fragmented then I guess you would want to defrag it. Any particular reason?

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Isso
    because i used mydefrag to resize the mft reserved zone, i can do without reboot ,in short it can do online
    in short is enough to defrag the mft and set im mb a blank/empty space (gab) after the mft , and afte a reboot , windows uses the gab(empty space) for reserved zone

but after if i use ultimatedefrag , it moves the mft and change the mft zone location

thanks
    cheers

5. psi2003

psi2003 Registered Member

Hi Isso, do you leave disktrix?

6. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Just out of curiosity : is it a better thing (to use MyDefrag MFT optimization rather than UD3's) ?

7. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

OK, so you mean you want to skip MFT processing for boot time defragmentation of UD right? Cause obviously MFT cannot be moved online. If so, why not to process MFT with MyDefrag as you like, then open UD, analyze the drive, note the position and size of MFT (plus zone), then enter exactly the same information to the UD boot settings. This way UD will skip moving MFT.

psi2003,

Yes I left Disktrix, I have another job now

8. psi2003

Isso,

For you, UltimateDefrag still be the best defrag app in the world? :)

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

no Isso
    i mean online and not offline
    ultimatedefrag defrag always many files of the mft online , i'm not talking about boot time defrag

10. Isso

Isso Developer

psi2003,

Interesting question :) I would say it's the most flexible defragmenter that allows power user to do things that no other defragmenter can do. But I personally prefer something simpler.
    Besides a year ago I switched to SSDs and never used defragmenter since then. By the way my new employer is in one of the biggest SSD manufacturers, so I guess I'll soon have exact answer if defragmenting SSDs makes any sense or not :) I'll then share my thoughts with wilders community.

11. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

When defragmenting online UD (or any other app) cannot move MFT. Only thing that is possible is to defragment it in place - without moving, and that is what UD tries to do. So I still can't understand what's happening in your case. Can you give more details? For example is MTF fragmented when UD processes it? What happens to MFT reserved zone before and after you UD processes it?

12. psi2003

Something simpler... like what? :)

13. Isso

Isso Developer

DefragExpress for example does its job pretty well - I normally use it when I need to defrag something.

14. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Perhaps Raxco Perfect Disk.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i mean ultimate defrag put at the end of the hight performance folders like c:\$attrdef c:\$entend C:\$secure:$ C:\$upcase.. and so on

are data related to mtf ,aren't they?

thanks Isso

16. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

$Attrdef, $Extend, $Secure, $Upcase etc can be moved only via boot time defrag. If you are doing online defrag they will stay where they are. And they are separate files, they relate to $MFT just like any other file on the system.
    So still I'm not sure I understand your problem, sorry. Please explain more detailed what you are doing, what is happening and what do you expect.

Narxis:
    No, definitely PerfectDisk is not small and simple. Actually I hate when something is running in the background and I have no control over it.

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im a long time user of both disktrix and perfectdisk and basically have dumped both of them. with version 12 pd was just to much then 12.5 it got even heavier. i went back to something basic like puran or others. i found ultimate defrag to many time for me with its boot time defrag caused a non bootable issue and the comp wanted to run chkdsk and found a ton of orphaned files etc...nothing against you isso as the program had a ton of stuff i loved but other issues that never got fixed.

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

weird
    ultimatedefrag 3.0.100.19 (i know it's not the lastest but the lastest version i read it's more buggy) consolidate always these files at the end of the high performance zone at least under xp
    mft zone

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3091/immagine1mc.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

end of the high performance zone

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4859/immagine3cl.jpg

example of files

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4135/immagine4df.jpg

thanks isso

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  19. psi2003

Isso,

I like and use DefragExpress. I think it's a simple but powerfull defrag app.

I have only one question about it. Don't have boot time module, so cannot defrag system files. What do you think about defrag windows 7 x64 system files? It is important or not?

20. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

Those system files cannot be moved online, it means that they were always located in that positions like in your screenshots.
    Sorry I still don't understand what the problem is. You mentioned that $MFT reserved zone gets resized/moved after you alter it. Can you post two screenshots of entire disk - before you use UD and after?

21. Isso

Isso Developer

psi2003,

If system files aren't too much fragmented (no more than 2-3 fragments), and aren't located too far from the start of the volume, then the performance won't be too much affected, and you can leave them as is.
    But some people don't tolerate even slightest performance degradation, so they prefer to use boot time defrag and have perfect layout. I guess it makes some sense too, moreover normally it needs to be done rarely - once or twice a year for an ordinary desktop.

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i added some red arrows

here there is a screenshot
    http://i41.tinypic.com/66b03a.jpg

and
    http://i41.tinypic.com/15znxuv.jpg
    in the last screenshot you can see the clusters always in the end of the high performance zone

thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  23. psi2003

Isso,

In Windows 7 x64 what program do you suggest to perform boot time defragmentation?

24. Isso

Isso Developer

mantra,

OK, thank you, now I can see your point. Those files that are on your screenshot, although are system files, still can be moved online. If you want to move them to be in a group with other system files you can do the following:
    Click on the block where those files are located. From left panel drag those files one by one to the block that you want to move them to. A dialog will open. Select "Exclude this file from subsequent automatic defrags", adjust the position using slider and edit box (where the cluster number is displayed). Then click Move.

25. Isso

Isso Developer

psi2003,

Frankly I didn't try many boot time defragmenters, so can't really compare. But mostly they divide into 3 groups:

1. "Fake" boot time defrag - these are not able to move $MFT, $Bitmap etc. They may be able to defragment $MFT in place, registry hives and pagefile. Except pagefile the rest can be done online too, thus there is not too much point in using them. Please note that MOST of the defragmenters belong to this group, because writing such module doesn't involve direct modification of NTFS file system, which is an extremely complex and dangerous operation.

2. "Real but limited" boot time defrag - these are able to move most system files, but are working according to some internal algorithms that the user has no control over.

3. "Real" - these can move any system file to any position that user desires. So far I know that only UD can do that. If someone knows any other program I'd like to have a look at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.