UltimateDefrag v3 - is THIS the very best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by qazwee, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

after a boot time defrag today i could NO LONGER boot to windows, i had to use the win7 disc and do a repair of the boot up files .... so be careful. not sure why this happened as it was a fresh install and this was the first time defragging the system with ud3... still not sure why it happened but it def did.

2. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

It stopped working on my desktop altogether,it worked fine when I ran it last week o_O I will reinstall it and see what happens.

3. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

What exactly is the purpose of such a post? Do you really expect any reasonable answer? You should be a bit more precise about what is not working. 'It stopped working' can mean about a thousand different things. And what do you mean by 'on my desktop'? Does it work from the startmenu and not from the desktop (which I can't imagine)?
    No offense, but please bear in mind that nobody has second sight.

4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Hi Mike 42,do you know what a desktop is o_O Perhaps you should try reading this entire thread.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

After my original comment, where I stated that UltimateDefrag ultimately does not do what it claims to do, i decided to fiddle around and spend some hours with this Illustrious program :cautious:

What I have discovered is this:

The best way to actually use this program is to first install it as usual, but then copy the installation folder to a USB or other external drive and then completely uninstall it from your C:\ Drive, and, run it as Administrator as a portable from there. This will use little or no resource on your system, and runs the program bassically as a script, although you can still customize the settings.:shifty: I checked the fragmentation levels after defragging and they are 0.25% to begin with my drive occupied 31GB of space, after first running the auto defragmentation method, and then consolidating space defrag with 11% most frequently used and 89% less frequently used data, UltimateDefrag compacted the space occupied down by 5GB to just 26GB

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

Now that is very weired. How can a defragger decrease the used disk space (by 16% !!!)? Are you sure you didn't delete some System Restore Points or something?

7. zfactor

2 things are you using system restore?? and did you have layout.ini checked..

8. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

Why would this affect the used disk space?

9. zfactor

as stated it may be removing the restore points as many defrag's do which are not fully compliant

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I had previously deleted the system restore states a day or 2 before running UD, and yes I have layout.ini checked

11. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Anyone still using this successfully ?:)

12. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Yes..

13. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I use this software almost every day. I really like the way it allows me to play around with the placement of the system files, in particular the page file which I can put near the outside of the disk just after the high performance files.

It took me a lot of experimenting with the various types of defrag options but now I have it working really well and love watching the little squares jump around and getting those most used files back to where I want them.

It was whilst learning how to drive this software that I learned so much about why it's best to have a fixed page file setting to prevent the inevitable fragmentation that otherwise occurs if Windows takes control and also in my particular case why there was no point in having a hibernation file as it was huge and something I never used.

Great piece of software and glad I got it after using the Express version.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use it on my desktop and occasionally on my laptop for specific tasks. I find UD3 to have the most advanced feature set of any defragger I've tried and therefore could presumably produce the best results if configured correctly. The problem is I don't know how to configure it so as to optimize my system, so I use mostly MyDefrag instead -- basically I prefer to place my trust in the algorithm used by Jereon Kessels, developer of MyDefrag and jkDefrag, to optimize my hard drives, plus MyDefrag is simpler and safer.

For my desktop, I have UD3 configured according to the tutorial offered by Disktrix (with minor tweaks to customize it for my system), but I don't fully trust that tutorial because it calls the user to place all of documents and settings, program files, and windows directories in high performance region, but on my desktop's system partition that's almost everything - I have most of my data files (movies, music, documents, etc.) on a separate partition so they don't slow down and increase the size of system backups, so I'm not sure the tutorial is the best way to go for me.

Also, I wish UD3 had several built-in layout choices (or several pre-configured Udefrag.xml files to choose from). For example, why not include an option to implement the settings corresponding to their tutorial with a click of a button and several similar choices? The user could then start with one of those layouts and tweak it to their preferences.

In terms of defrag times, UD3 is very fast on my desktop as long as long as I don't change the defrag mode (I have it on Consolidate), and don't make major changes to the settings. However, I don't notice an improvement in system performance (boot time and general responsiveness) over how it performs when optimized with MyDefrag.

15. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I find it a very interesting product and works well at this time.
    I think the lack contact with the developer(s). No answers to e-mails, no forum or anything related makes me feel unsure if I should trust it.
    With a forum the users could help eachother and discuss defragmentation strategies etc.

16. mike42

mike42 Registered Member

For me it works fine in principle too (on Win XP Pro 32bit). However, there are still a number of UI flaws and some issues in boot defrag. Isso (the programmer) has been here on wilders infrequently, but long time no see. The project seems still up (they deployed a newsletter recently) but as for updates there was no news for months now. I don't know, why they care so little for communication...

17. zfactor

i sadly have gone another way after having multiple issues with the boot time messing it up for other programs like perfectdisk and macrium, shadow protect ghost etc.. still no response to a email i sent months ago. and i should not have to jump through hoops to get a response either.

18. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

My boot time is going wild after I started using the Auto method with respect layout.ini and set at optimum!
    I'm also back at ESET as you can preserve last access stamp for system scans there.

19. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

Glad I found this. Was going to try this program but Instinct said not to.

I am now trying out O&O software Defrag 14, but would still like to know if any of the posters here sorted out the issues they were having?

Defrag 14 seems to offer the advantages of UD3 but with none of the drawbacks I read on here, but who knows? I'll post again when I've had more time with O&O.

20. zfactor

only problem with o&o is once you use it and it consumes resources to run it doesnt ever release them unless you manually end the procc. or reboot and then dont run it. it will use what it need then when you close it those procc's stay in memory and running. even if set to manual it does the same so when i tested it i had to always manually shutdown the procc's in order for them to stop and get back the memory

21. monkeybutt

monkeybutt Registered Member

good to know.

So far O&O is a great piece of software.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Good to know :D
    Been using O&O since v10 and it's awesome.
    It offers LOTS AND LOTS ways to tweak it :D

23. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I personally tried the O&O Defrag 114 demo version. I cannot really comment on the performances, but there is definitely an issue on my XP system with the display. This display show little colored squares to represent group of clusters, and each square is surrounded by black lines. But the width of theses black lines remains unchanged when the size of the colored squared is changed, so when they are very little, the black lines take almost all the space, making the map difficult to read. Previous versions were much more readable. I finally chose not to keep it. I mostly use UD3 for my system partition, SmartDefrag 1.5 for the other ones and Auslogics for big files.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Please note, this is a thread about UD, and not other defrag programs.

Please lets stay on topic.

Thanks,

Pete

25. psi2003

psi2003 Registered Member

New Update Released (version 3.0.100.37) is now available for download

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.