UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Perfect Disk does that. The other stuff that UD does while neat doesn't do much for me. I am only using 5% of my drive.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

PerfectDisk crash on my system...

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I have done so with UD, but as i told you, here no evidence of speed improvement. I also use only 40% of my partition 'C' and 50% of partition 'D'.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

mustve read too fast :p sry bout that

5. ugc

ugc Registered Member

Gave this a try, and I gotta tell you that I am impressed.

I did not use the default settings, and took the time to read the help file that comes with it, set everything for performance, and this is a solid piece of software.

Just to note: If it is speed you are after, it is better to NOT partition the drive that contains your OS. Use a second HD to hold your data files, and ONLY have your OS on a fast seek drive (EX: Western Digital Raptor XXGB 10K RPM SATA-150 Hard Drive). Now, if you want to save money, sure, partition as much as you want.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've done this seven months ago, but I keep PerfectDisk anyway. Not many people like to separate their personal data from their system partition. Just you, me and a few aliens. ;)

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Raptors have a high cost per GB compared with others HDDs. Also, they are very noisy. Very good, fast, reliable and barely audible HDDs are the new WD Caviar SE/RE2 drives. If I have a 320 GB primary drive it´s a waste dedicate it only to Windows

8. ugc

ugc Registered Member

lucas1985>
    I used "Raptors" as an example. Any fast seek drive will work.

Quote:"If I have a 320 GB primary drive it´s a waste dedicate it only to Windows"

Yes. You are correct. Just buy a smaller GB drive.

Again, I am just talking "if you want the faster speed". For some, this may not be the best solution because of the extra $$.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Agreed ;)
    I´d wish to know how UD can improve the performance in RAID setups, specially in Matrix RAID
    Perhaps UD only focus in single drive/single partition systems

10. Peter2150

True, but you don't have to partition it. I have a 500g raid 0 array, and I am not partitioning it. Works fine, everything is at the outer edge. In fact getting anew machine with two 320gigs in a raid 0 and I have no plan to partition that.

11. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hey, Peter,
    Are you planning on using only 3% of all that spaceo_O :D :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

New version available; v.1.34.

"Some systems were experiencing Stack Overflow errors causing the program to terminate unexpectedly.This has been corrected in this version."

Registered users are now being sent emails regarding updates, etc.

13. Peter2150

Hi Wilbert

Just saw this. Naw, I may go to 4% with Microsofts Train Simulator:D I like keeping the drives lean. My old machine which had a 120gig drive was up to 25%. Seriously drives are cheap when you buy new machines, and keeping them light makes everything faster. Why not.

Pete

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello Peter,

At least you got some spare space for add-ons... :thumb:

15. Peter2150

ROFL. Yep, I've already bookmarked those sites, and an idea of the costs.

But you are right, I suspect I can add few without impacting the disk.

Pete

16. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Another vote for AusLogic FREE Defrag. I own PefectDisk Version 6.0 and I prefer AusLogic.

17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, Thankful, it is nice to hear you have secured a good free Defrag. If you ever have a chance to test newer perfect disk (now is v.8 ), I can assure you that you will definately feel the "impact" of its improvement.:) BTW, Diskeeper Pro premier v.11(2007) can provide same degree of feeling as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  18. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Perhaps PerfectDisk Version 8 is new and improved. However, after spending more than $40 for Version 6 in November 2003, I don't wish to spend another $40 to get performance that I should have received with version 6.0.

19. Peter2150

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. It's sort of like saying I won't buy a new car, because I paid for another car several years ago, and I shouldn't have to pay for a new to get what I should have gotten with the old one.

All kinds of products get improved, not just software, and if you are happy fine, but if you want the improvements why shouldn't you pay for them.

Am I missing something here?

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I did receive an improvement. That's why I switched to a free defrag. As you are well aware, there are many companies who provide free version upgrades.
    By the way, I tried PerfectDisk Version 7.0 and found no substantial improvement.

21. Peter2150

Raxco does what most companies do. Provide free updates, say version 7.1,7.4 etc. But charge a reduced price for upgrades to brand new versions.
    Everyone has to make a decision about it's value. If you found a free defrag that works for you - fantastic.

Pete

22. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I bought PerfectDisk 7 when it came out but hardly ever used it - went back to Diskeeper. Yesterday I decided to give PerfectDisk8 a trial and found a big speed
    improvement over 8 and more importantly over Diskeeper 10. Anyway I ended up buying a 5 License upgrade

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Another update to UltimateDefrag;

Version 1.35 Released
    28 December 2006
    Updates and fixes in this release

NEW FEATURES

* Converted custom user interface to complete classic Windows user interface.
    UltimateDefrag will adopt the Windows theme that is in use
    * Changed Maximum Resource Usage Selector to a spinner that enables 1% increments
    * Moved Scheduler to Tools menu
    * Changed start and stop push-buttons to give dual functionality to the one push-button

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its great to hear itll now use the Windows theme.

25. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I wished I had read this thread before since I recently purchased another product (O&O Defrag - I like their 3D screen defrag).

I can't agree with the non partitioning recommendation, since it's so important for drive imaging, but I am very interested in the directory sorting. This feature can be reproduced with PD and O&O, but only when activating the "slow" modes (smart placement and modified placement respectively). I have always found, or rather believed, that directory sorting does bring some visible improvement.

For DiskTrix people : do you consider proposing trade-up offers ? (One can always dream a little...).

Thanks !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.