UltimateDefrag - is this the best defragger ever?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by OliverK, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

It's just me probably but I never notice a difference when I defrag even when the Windows Defragger tells me I need to. I do it, it wastes time, and no difference.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I took another shot at this defragger given the FDISR issue. It again hung at the $ISRBIN file so I shut it down. Got to thinking it might be Perfect Disk some how locking the file so I uninstalled Perfect Disk and restarted UD. It again hung at $ISRBIN, but I left it there a minute and then it went on. I hadn't set any exclusions.

I then restored an image which also put the disk back as PD had defragged it, and again installed UD. Again no exclusions. This time when it hit $ISRBIN I just left it and after a couple of minutes it went thru, and completed the defrag.

As I would expect I don't see much if any gain on this system. The real test will be tomorrow when at the end of the day I do the FDISR refresh, and then defrag. It will be interesting to see how long it takes.

3. Peter2150

Well I couldn't resist. I did an FDISR update run to update my 2nd snapshot. Only difference should have been the addition of UD. Started the defrag process, not counting the delay over the $ISRBIN file, it looked like it was going to take at least 15 minutes. This would have been a 2min defrag with Perfect Disk 8.

While I love the theory, for my usage, this clearly doesn't surpass Perfect Disk. Experiment over. Image restore running now.

Pete

4. osip

osip Registered Member

well,this is for sure not just a defragger as explained above,it´s a real drive optimizer!...You have to change from the defaults and try the many options....I can´t beleive it!(And this is not an ad...)I´m very pleased that I discovered this prog,earlier used PD,O&O and DK,but this takes them all...

5. Mem

Mem Registered Member

I've used Diskkeeper Lite for Windows v 9 for the last year or so without problems-the MFT has been at 3 fragments. After running UD, the MFT reserved space is shown but DK now reports 33 fragments (UD reports 32 fragments) - even after repeated UD boot and disk defrags. No disk problems and the access speed does appear to have improved but it is of some concern.

Edit: As a followup, The MFT stayed at over 30 fragments so I used DK Lite 9 to get it back to 3 and then repeated UD (consolidated settings as listed in manual for home desktop as before) and it reported 2 fragments for the MFT. I haven't tried to repeat the boot defragmentation process.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Is this to imply that UltimateDegrag actually defrags the volume on which you have Rollback installed?

7. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Don't use ANY defragmenter on a partition which RollbackRx is monitoring!

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've never had a 2 minute defrag with PD, not even 15, so quite how you achieved that I dunno. I should add I do all my defrags from within the Primary Snapshot.

9. pvsurfer

Just as I thought. ;)

10. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

That be A BIG Y E S !

11. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

LOL ! LOL ! LOL ! Good advice? maybe¿ I do boot time defrags with diskeeper as well and it never hosed my system not once mayb lucky ? Maybe not considering Ive done it at least 75+ times on top of rebooting into snap shots created before and after boot time defrags. The version of RollBackRx pro that I'm using is the latest build 2691291147 version 7.2.1.
    On a side note I also use the built in snap shot defrag along side with diskeeper as well as UD and never screwed up my Rollback snaps; never BSOD . :rolleyes:

12. Peter2150

Hi Tony

Couple of reasons. 1st only 5% of disk is used. Secondly I do it almost every day.

Pete

13. pvsurfer

Obviously it's not crashing your system, so that's good. But do you have any reason to believe that running UltimateDefrag or Diskeeper serves a worthwhile purpose (i.e., improves performance) for the Rollback-installed partition?

14. vhick

vhick Registered Member

does anyone use ultimatedefrag in boot defrag while fdisr is installed?

15. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

LOL cmon bud, we wasnt born yesterday :D

Peter did some tests with FD, here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=877566#post877566

Good luck ;)

16. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i using fd-isr and defrag using this program without exclusion or something. just a recommended setting based on the help file. it tooks me a 1 1/2 hour to complete and notice the speed of my pc now. with no error on my snapshot or what so ever. maybe you didnt notice the speed if yiou have a high end pc. i only use 2.0ghz cleleron, 512mb ram, and 40gb hdd partition into 2.

this is my observation....

thanks....

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I have 35% disk space used with 4 snapshots currently so a big difference compared to you. I must admit I don't defrag every day. In fact, the last time I did run PD it said I didn't need to, nor the time before that. I did do a boot-time defrag tho.

18. Peter2150

yep. PD always tells me I don't need to defrag. I do it anyway.

19. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

INteresting, I tried this tool and out of curiosity ran a disk analysis with windows own defrag utility right afterwards

Attached Files:

20. Dazed42

Dazed42 Registered Member

Hey Rob, since you seem to be defending UltimateDefrag here, and I'm having a problem with it, perhaps you can help.

Let me just say that I love the GUI and the display of the hard disc.

I have an 80 gig drive with 2 partitions, c: and d:, 40 gigs each. C: is my system drive. I'm try to defrag with the "recent" option. Settings checked are last access, Place data on outer tracks, most recent data most outher, respect high performance, respect archive, and Put directories close to mft.

So after running the defrag, the drive is still 7.9% fragmented, and the files aren't being placed on the outer tracks, in fact the outermost tracks are more or less completely empty with a few scatttered blue clusters. What's up with that? I really want to like this program but it doesn't seem to be working.

Attached is the graph of the hard disk, this is AFTER the defrag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  21. Peter2150

Hi Dazed42

Couple of things.

1. Rob is a representative of the company. (don't take this as a dig, it isn't, he's a good guy. It's just a fact.)

2. I don't think this post does, but be somewhat careful of posts that border on asking for support. He isn't allowed to do that, and the mods will get on him if he does.

3. I suspect the answer to your problem is your partitions, as they prevent some of the files from being moved to the outer part of the disk. If you read the literature, website, and helpfiles, you will see they make an argument against partitioning disk drives.

Cheers,

Pete

22. Dazed42

Dazed42 Registered Member

Actually, sorry I figured it out in the help file. I had the last access timestamp disabled, and was trying to defrag by last acess.

I still cant get rid of those 8% of the files that are still fragmented though.

Thanks for the reply.

Again, I really like the gui.

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Any plans for a lite and free version?
    I´m just very satisfied with Sysinternals´ Contig and PageDefrag(every boot) and Power Defragmenter GUI in a Intel Matrix RAID(two HDDs, RAID 0 in the outer tracks and RAID 1 in the rest)

What kind of improvements could I see?

Thanks

24. Peter2150

I know. The GUI, is really cool.

25. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

I usually have a residual fragmentation of 4-5 percent after a UltimateDefrag defrag. But if I do a Windows xp defrag analysis immediately after, it reports 0 files (not just 0% but 0 files) as fragmented, so I'm not sure what the fragmentation percentage in UltimateDefrag represents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.