UltimateDefrag 2008 (very nice)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PoetWarrior, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dlev

3dlev Registered Member

Don't forget to run an analysis before viewing Volume info

2. osip

osip Registered Member

Tried to defrag my data drive with FDISR:s archive in exclusion...Ran a simple defrag but the archive was´nt excluded...ran for hours, I had to stop it...

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have looked....

i see the odd fragment in firefox or my antivirus etc,

ive even had it down to Fragmented Files: 0 and it stil says between 12-14% fragmented, its always around 1800-2100mb fragmented.

dont know what it is, dont know where it is... and UltimateDefrag obviously detects it and tells me, but does nothing for it. :doubt:

this is really annoying.

4. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

I pretty much have had same results run a complete defrag check analyze again and shows 12% to 14% still fragmented, with no other options, and no explanation, I do on the other hand see a improvement in overall performance on my computer but the contradictory results are not convincing me to purchase the upgrade.

Wake

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, same here.

i do notice an improvement too, but when it says 12-14% fragmented, and around 2gb fragmented, its not good.

is it a bug?
    is there something i can do to fix it, so it shows 0%?

hmm.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

everything looks fine to me, apart from the 12% fragmented bit.

Untitled.jpg

1 fragment it says on the main GUI, yet still says [1918mb] fragmented, but i see no mention about it in the other screens, and i certainly dont see any fragmented [red] files on the disk-image on the main GUI.

1.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  7. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Yup statistics for me are exactly the same as your attached pictures and I do not understand the results,
    is it a bug ? dunno, could it be the results differ from time defrag completes, av updates, temp folders
    change, system reboots etc.. I really am not sure but to me it is definately something to keep an eye on.

Wake

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what happens if you exit and then reenter the program and run analysis ?
    my guess is that it will now show fully defragged

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nope, its the same... even if i reboot and reload the program.

10. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Yup it stays the same for me to every time I run analysis would love to see that zero but .. aint happening.

Wake

11. Long View

How many days have you been running 2008 ? For the first 2 days I found that the program would go into a loop when trying to consolidate. I would have to stop and restart. After 2 days of playing it then just began to work - very strange. Now defrag only takes 10 seconds and consolidate under 2 mins ( set 25% High performance 75% Archive)

12. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

Have been using Ultimate Defrag for about 3 days now, run a defrag, close it out when finished,
    go back click analyze again and the interface consistently shows this 12% to 14% fragmentation
    and each time I reopen the program so strange results on this machine and this computer has had
    no other commercial defrag utility ever installed, I have not seen UD loop or stall either during
    a defrag, but I think I will keep using it for a few more days see if it the problem resolves itself.

Anyone using any special settings ? or just default ?

Wake

13. 3dlev

3dlev Registered Member

C.S.J - check out the Fragmented Files tab - I'm sure you'll see the file that is fragmented and most likely it is pagefile.sys

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive had it show only one file, hiberfil.sys

i shall contact support, i doubt that is 12-14% fragmented and using 2gb.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you have 2GB of memory, I believe hiberfil.sys will also be 2GB.

Once thing you can do is disable the hibernation file, defrag (if necessary), then re-enable it. It should then be one contiguous file.

16. Wake2

Wake2 Registered Member

I have 2gb on this computer to running XP MCE 2005 and the fragmented file after I looked at the gui
    is the hiberfil.sys here to so guess solved that mystery thanks to all for the help.

Wake

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I think that you will find that the 12% is the amount of the Largest free space, no defragmenter in the world will defrag this any lower than the systems largest free space. PerfectDisk always tells you what % the largest free space is and never defrags it totally its always read good, while the rest of the defragmented areas have read 0% excellent. Think thats this issue with UD here dont stress too much about it :cool:

18. 3dlev

3dlev Registered Member

C.S.J - 2GB fragmented hyberfile.sys is perfectly ok. I agree to WSFuser - just disable hybernation and re-enable it. If you have more than 2GB of contiguous free space the fragmentation will be gone.

As for UD - it won't be able to defrag this file because it is system locked. Such files can be defragmented only at boot time. You can try using free pagedefrag utility for this task:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx

19. 3dlev

3dlev Registered Member

DVD+R: UD can successfully defragment large files even if contiguous free space is much less than file size. I've tried it with a drive having only 100 MB free space and 75% fragmentation. Plain "Consolidate" mode (with no other options selected) defragmented it successfully, although it took some time.

BTW "Fragmented files only" mode will fail on such task because of not enough free space.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

ive been using pd2008 for a while now and while i like it it lacks any real options imo.. i may try ud2008 but it does sound like there are some issues with it

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

support said the same about the hibernation file, I will check it when I get home,

They said they will be able to defrag it in 8 weeks when the boottime defrag thing arrives, but I might just disable it as I dont even use it anyway.

22. Long View

I'm not sure if I'm getting the best out of UD2008 yet. Mainly using consolidate set to 49 days for performance and 50 days or more for archive. I tried using percentages but using days seems to make more sense to me. Does anyone use
    recency or volatility ? would be nice if auto could offer days rather than just percentages

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so right now there is not boot time defrag??

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i use folder/filename one,

it says in the pdf help, that this one offers the best 'overall performance' increase.

which is what i want :)

ive ticked all the boxes, but im scared to change the percentages in the main options. :D

----------
    my 12-14% has now disappeared due to disabling the hibernation feature via CMD.

im now at, 0% :D

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  25. Long View

I've taken the view that if a file hasn't been used in the last 19 days then it will
    probably not be used very often. So now changed to High Performance 19 days and Archive 20 + days. makes a nice picture anyway. High performance takes up
    the outer ring - one row with Archive sitting in the middle and hardly changing.
    Tried Folder/file, Recency and volatility and feel that volatility works best. Still got a lot of playing to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.