Ultimate Defrag - which Configuration?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Tommy, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I am using since a while UD and testing different configurations. How are your experiences and which configuration do you use.

For me i am using in the moment the in the help file suggestet method and config for home computer. Using a Laptop and two partitions, partition C contains Windows and all programs, partition D contains only Data an archives

Suggestions?

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I've fooled around w/ UD for quite some time. Currently I de-frag twice a week:
    Saturday:

1) Auto: Auto Options: A) Put directories close to MFT B) Respect Layout.ini
    C) 44% Most frequently used data to outer tracks
    56% Least frequently used data to inner tracks
    Average seek time set to optimum

2) Tools | Options: High Performance 1) Automatic 50% Most frequently used data 2) Include these file types: exe, dll, dir & sys.
    Archive: 50% Least used data
    1) Include these file types: zip & Rar
    Excluded files: $ISR
    Respect Layout.ini

Wednesday:

Fragmented files only.

I only started this method two weeks ago and it seems fine. All my regular use apps start up quickly. The only fragments files in the outer tracks are Outlook.Pst

This is on a schedule, after my security & back-up apps have run.

...screamer

Attached Files:

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I use the consolidate defrag:

20070723205027le6.png

I put the following folders for Performance

Documents and Settings
    WINDOWS\System32
    Firefox and UT2004 folders

and then for Archive I put all the remaining folders of WINDOWS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

And how about multipartitioned drive,in the GUI you see only the disklayout for the selected partition,there is no selection for the whole disklayout,so its hard to imagine where files from other partitions other than :C\ stay on disk,let say D,E etc.In the manual there is hardly any speaking about this other than saying that with use of UD there is no need anymore for partitions.Obviuosly you can defrag each partition independently with your preferred choices but then again where are these files placed on the disk.in my case i placed my big data archive[4 gig] related to my image search app. on partition G,reason is to make C smaller so backup/restore is faster as i only backup/recover C with Shadow Protect.as for G with my data i use Karen Replicator to backup.I know that data staying on partitions other than C are slower to access as compared to the primary partition,i take that for granted[so are the laws of physics].About the G database partition with the image database the search has to be as fast as possible with several hundreds of thousend images in there,so i placed within the confinements of the partition the database at the outer edges and other less freqently used personal data at the inside,but where in geographical layout of the disk nest the files,i am quite puzzled about that,
    Fyi my main objective was to shrink the data on the C partition for faster backup and restore,i backup and restore now in one sweep 17 gig within 15 min.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Has anyone tried Ultimate Drefrag with anything like Returnil or DeepFreeze 6 ?
    Using Perfect Disk and Retrnil means that at every reboot my C: drive is about as good as Perfect disk can get. I wonder if using Ultimate Defrag in its slowest best mode would be any better ? would DeepFreeze or Returnil restore a fully defragmented drive every time ? will test when I have time - but has anyone tried this yet ?

6. Long View

When you restore - having used Ultimate defrag and shadowprotect is the drive still fully defragmented ?

I find that with Acronis following a restore I have to do an external defrag.
    Acronis restores everything but doesn't seem to care where the files end up on the drive.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If everything is lifted into memory with Returnil(almost) then its obvious that everything on the drive stay pristine,i guess that the underlying principle in Returnil has the same impact on any defragger.Yes and with a heavy defragmented drive its the right time to defrag !

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I dont know i will look into it in a short time,after partitioning with ADD,only creating a partition in a free space messed up the file layout,everything spread across the drive so be carefull !

9. appster

appster Registered Member

Can someone please tell me which UD file contains my defrag preferences?

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just did restore the :C\ with ShadowProtect 12 GB time 7 min. I checked the fragmentation in UD-----initial fragmentation 0,00174, fragmentation after restore 0,00376 so make up your own mind.

huub.

11. Long View

looks like I'm going to have to try shadow protect and UD
    thanks

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Not too bad,but UD works best on drive without partitions,you then only have a big C and everything that has to go to the oudside can go to the oudside,same with files that has to go to the inside can go to the inside,with partitions like D,files in there can't go to the outer rim because they are restricted by the bounderies of the partition because partitions are fixed at their location on disk,so think twice what you place in a partition,it can slow you down.In my case i placed my pictures database Imatch in the G partition and my search speed dropped drastically !Initially the database was placed on the outer rims of the disk and search speeds were very fast.I choice to do that this way so i can shrink my data on C and in this way speed up the backup/restore ,but lost some remarkeable speed with searching my database,at the moment i can't think of a better solution.
    FYI If you have a multi partitioned drive,you have to defrag each partition independently with your prefered choices like the UD developper told me.

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

appster - i believe it is udefrag.xml

14. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I am going to try this part of your set up and see how my machine reacts to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.