Ultimate Boot CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I want to build an Ultimate Boot CD . Then if all goes well I want to build a Windows Ultimate Boot CD. Anyway on the UBD site they have 3 different downloads. An ISO image , self extracting zip and regular zip. Which should I download? Then before I make the CD what do I do with what I have downloaded? I know this may be stupid questions but I have never done anything like this before and I want to learn. Thank you for the help.

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

me too, I would like to know that too. something like slipstreaming I guesso_O

3. WilliamP

With the Ultimate Boot CD you don't have to slipstream. That comes next with the Windows Ultimate Boot CD. I have downloaded Autostream that is supposed to make it easy.

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi WilliamP,

If you don't want to make any changes, download the .iso. It is an CD image file that is ready to burn. Just use Roxio Easy Media Creator or Nero to burn the image to cd. Very easy to do when you have those programs.

Since you want to make some additions, I would download the zip rather than the .exe. Zips are easier to scan for malware (just in case).
    Roxio and Nero can both burn bootable CDs. Just look in the help file for more info. Just create a new bootable data CD project add the files you want and burn it.

Hi Infinity,

Slipstreaming is usually refers to combining the original Windows XP CD with SP2 into a combined CD. I don't think you can slipstream other things.

5. WilliamP

I have downloaded the ISO. I haven't burned the CD yet. I have Easy CD Creator 5. I'm new to this and was just wondering. What will I be able to do with this CD as it is now without any additional addons?

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

You will be able to boot up with the CD and then run any of the programs listed here

I have version 7 of Easy CD Creator (now they call it Easy Media Creator) (Worth the upgrade by the way. But try to get it bundled with a new DVD drive)

Create a new data cd project (NOT DIRECT CD). Open easy cd creator. You can even just drag the .iso file into the lower window (or browse to it from within ECDC) and then you click on the record (burn) button.
    It seems complicated when you haven't done it before, but it is really pretty easy. Give it a try. :)

7. WilliamP

Thank you for the help.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

One drawback to using the current UBCD 2.4 ISO is that the F-Prot and McAfee signatures are outdated (27 July 2004). You will have to follow the instructions in the FAQ if you want current signatures:

"Question: I have F-Prot (DOS) always with latest definitions on my PC. Now do I create an image of this, to be included on my UBCD?

The easiest way is use a program like WinImage to view the F-Prot image file (fprot.img) on UBCD. You will see a file called files.zip within the image. Copy it to your harddisk, then use WinZip to view the zip file. You will see it contains the entire F-Prot distribution. Replace the virus definition files with your latest. Then, copy the updated files.zip to the F-Prot image file."

If you need help, I've done it a couple of times.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.