UKonline Broadband opinions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

A few weeks ago i signed up for UKonline broadband. I was thinking i was getting a very good deal as it stated i would get a free broadband router with the contract. I had a dialup broadband modem i got with AOL and did not like it. My auntie got a router from BT when she signed up and i liked the idea of this.

So anyway after waiting four weeks (it said it would only be 7-10 days) i receive a voyager dialup modem.

I contacted UK online technical help asking why i have to dialup when you said i will be getting a router and that i had been told routers dont need dialing up.

Here is the response this question
    In a later email i received it said to contact support to purchase a router.

I contacted customer support and the first lady appeared to suggest they would swap the modem for a router but then she said i just need to confirm this with the manager. So i obviously got put through to her. She said that isnt a modem a router. I said no a modem is not a router a modem is something you need to dial a router is always on. She said "you need to dial?, it must be faulty". I then directed her to the email i received from their technical help. And she said we are not just going to give you a £70 router for nothing. I said but that is what you stated you would do when i signed up. So she said ok i will cancel your contract. I said i do not wish my contract to be cancelled i just want my free router. Which she wouldnt give.

So to end the situation i offered to pay the differnce for the free modem for the router (i.e the modem was £30 the router was £70, so they have just got £40 out of me).

I am a little annoyed by this as i cant afford £40 for something i wanted and assumed i would be receiving for free. Can i ask what is the experts opinions on this situation?. Should i have known they would have only sent me a dial up broadband modem and not a router like i wanted.

(ive enclosed a copy of my purchase agreement to see what i saw).

I eagerly await peoples opinions on this...

Thanks
    Anthony

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

You shouldn't have payed them a bean Anthony.....you have a 'Router' £FREE, written in black and white.....You should have, and if it were me, would still, take that confirmation order form to your nearest Trading Standards Office....

UKonline are going to be on a good thing if they do that to ALL unsuspecting Customers eh?.

Cochise, :cool:

3. AsianTiger

AsianTiger Guest

Don't let the matter lie ant. report them and ring them again! trust me they prob. have different call centers. Get the managers name and the name of the call center and the and the address of the head office. WRITE to them the we (Brits) love letters and don't really give a monkey to emails (yet).

As conchise said you shouldn't have paid them a dime but pursue this matter.

1) call them again explain everything
    2) remeber to get the name of call center, operator and manager
    3) get the address and contact details of head office

Trust me. SNAILmail here in the UK!

I think it's an error, they didn't really mean a router but a modem. if it is they should amend future purchase agreements.

Again we aren't really up to date with tech. here (unfortunately) and you prob. realised this when you spoke to the manager.

All the best Mate. Keep us up to date. Don't let the matter LIE.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Thanks for your advice but can i ask if you think it is an error it would be a bit off of me to try to force them to give me something they never had no intentions of giving.

Im just suprised how a big internet companies customer service department doesnt know the difference between a router and a modem. Its a pity as i really thought i was getting a good deal with them getting a free router and all, now its only an ok deal, but ive given them my mac code now and waited for the switch over.

5. AsianTiger

AsianTiger Guest

I just think it may be a mist›ä¬6(¹áãÒfÁ¥‚ÏÅÛÔ£ut you shouldn't mention this. Just follow my steps as above.

I'm not this is Great Britain after all we have a long way to go. The majority of the ukNOTonline thus the majority don't have much experiance and knowlegde of routers, modems and don't mention antispyware "antispyware what?"

Your right does not look like a very good deal anymore, pity you also just missed the free modem offered by Bulldog (C&W) yesterday on both their 4 Meg UNCAPPED Interactive and Superactive packages with min. one month contract.

If you need any more advice feel free to post back.

6. AsianTiger

AsianTiger Guest

I just think it may be a mistake on their part but you shouldn't mention this. Just follow my steps as above.

sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.