UK police photo database - BBC report

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by deBoetie, Feb 3, 2015.

1. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

'Innocent people' on police photos database'

Police forces in England and Wales have uploaded up to 18 million "mugshots" to a facial recognition database - despite a court ruling it could be unlawful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31105678

They've done this without Home Office or Parliamentary approval, and contemptuous of a previous court ruling and ignoring the Biometrics Commissioner.

Quite apart from the obvious problems with false positives, how's this for hubris:

"Andy Ramsay......said searches of the database using facial recognition were 100% reliable in cases where there were clear images, and could be completed in seconds."

100% huh. He looks after a database of 100,000 images.

And that's quite apart from the little detail of innocent people being in a criminal database. They did the exact same thing with the DNA database, which the ECHR ruled illegal in a damning and unanimous verdict.

The Rule of Law is only when it suits them.

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

and yet the uk government wants us to trust them with even more spying on us to protect us allegedly from terrorists

3. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

The did the same thing with DNA, they compiled a large database of DNA that had been taken from criminals & from innocent folk that volunteered to give samples, they said it would destroyed but they kept it even when the European court ruled that it was illegal.

They also said recently that all police officers should be issued with tazer's to combat terrorism even though a tazer would be pointless against someone with a gun or a bomb.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

The US Govt. has been covertly building a DNA database. Little known fact: Harvesting of blood of every person born in the USA started around 1966 without any awareness from people this was happening. Also there has been a wealth of evidence some of these samples were sent to military and germ warfare facilities. My advice is to extract all of your families blood from state archives while you still can, hopefully before they establish a database. You can claim 'religious or spiritual' reasons for this, and they are required by law to send them back to you after you sign a document of destruction. I did this for my entire family 6-7 years ago after I discovered they took unauthorized samples. Now I have them stored in a safe here. Also, Bush signed a 'DNA extraction' law when he was president that required DNA from all newborns in the USA. Again, you can use religious/spiritual grounds to bypass this.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...e-over-baby-dna-sent-to-military-lab-1/nRqkT/
    Suit possible over baby DNA sent to military lab.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/04/baby.dna.government/
    Many parents don't realize their baby's DNA is being stored in a government lab.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.