UHHH, so that's why my internet was acting up

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by moogleboi, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moogleboi

moogleboi Registered Member

So recently my internet started acting up. Facebook wouldn't load photos and pages kept hanging. On top of this Firefox started being jumpy from time to time with scrolling + lots of tabs open on some websites.

I'd seen this kinda behavior before and had never been able to put my finger on it. Then it finally occurred to me. Things had been fine up until I'd installed NOD32.

I flicked up the NOD32 control panel and managed to find "web access protection" listed. Seriously, why the **** does an anti-virus need this? This isn't the first anti-virus I've stopped using because of internet protection features.

The purpose of anti-virus software is to prevent, detect, and remove malware - not do anything else, and sadly companies just can't seem to understand this nowadays.

It seems security software has caused me more trouble than its worth. This is the last time I will be using NOD32. The program has been uninstalled from my computer (and stuff like facebook is working fine again).

Luckily I never seem to get viruses anyway (because I'm not a complete dweeb when it comes to surfing), So I won't bother looking for another AV package.

I hope this serves as a suggestion to the people that program NOD32 if they read threads on here.

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Instead of uninstalling, why not just turn off web access protection?

3. lordgrover

lordgrover Registered Member

I'm sure you'll be missed. :rolleyes:

4. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

Well, obviously the web access protection is another layer of defense.It tries to stop the virus from the source, but it's true however that if you turn that off as soon as the virus hits your hard drive it will be detected anyway.stoping it from the source makes more sense though, then it won't get near your hard drive :cautious:

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Not only it's the first layer of defense, web access protection also uses more sensitive heuristics than other modules so with it enabled you're protected against many more new threats. Additionally it also blocks sites known to host malware.

6. tsherr

tsherr Registered Member

Since I don't see this problem on every computer that has NOD32 installed, it's not completely an NOD32 problem. Clearly something else (along with NOD in your case) is causing the problem. I'd recommend you see if you can figure out the other trigger, since it is likely you'll have other problems down the road.

It's part of the "prevent" part, obviously.

Anyone who says "I'm not a complete dweeb" in the same sentence as he says he won't be using an AV package at all anymore either isn't thinking clearly or has a fine sense of the ironic.

T

7. moogleboi

moogleboi Registered Member

LOL. Its usually plain obvious when something is a virus - a sudden download prompt with "setup.exe" on a dodgy website.... or when a virus is bundled with something you can usually find out by reading the comments first...

If I'm not thinking clearly I wonder why I haven't had a piece of malware in months...

All I know is that I've had the problem before and now NOD32 is gone, its fixed. I'm happy, I've had a rant, problem sorted.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That being the case and since this is not a support issue, We'll bring this thread to a close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.